LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

User avatar
Offline
Spotlighted! (1) Backer! (1)
certhex wrote:
Zag wrote:
*a bunch of stuff about premium gear*


So this made me think, will people be able to share, if they so please, their premium gear with other players? As it IS just a normal item that you get for free.


I think that stuff is soulbound to you.
Exploration Team of the World, a whople lotta fun.


"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Joined: Apr.21.2012

Posts: 5120

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Backer! (1)
ScottKrieger2015 wrote:
certhex wrote:
Zag wrote:
*a bunch of stuff about premium gear*


So this made me think, will people be able to share, if they so please, their premium gear with other players? As it IS just a normal item that you get for free.


I think that stuff is soulbound to you.


I was under the impression that stuff was bound to any character you create and non-transferable. Otherwise you could just keep making characters and trading the items.
The sands of time are changing. The world is being shaped in the eyes of both good and evil. Which side will you be on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Skitterin

Joined: Apr.22.2012

Posts: 788

^ Top
 
Offline
Somehow reading about the Kickstarter bagpack again something kicked me (hrhrhr)....

Since we were asked about what kind of inventory we want (personally I never thought they'd plan *something* else than persistent one), how are Kickstarter and moreover normal bags going to be handled?

If they decide upon a per-world inventory does that mean ppl who didnt donated will have to gather the different bagpacks over and over again? Or will they just kill all other bagpacks and leave the non-Kicksatrters with a slightly worse version than the premium bag?
Image

Joined: Apr.05.2012

Posts: 650

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Backer! (1)
I assumed everyone would have a bag, the kickstarter one was just cooler. I thought they said the kickstarter backpack wouldn't impact gameplay. A bigger bag would do that...
The sands of time are changing. The world is being shaped in the eyes of both good and evil. Which side will you be on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Skitterin

Joined: Apr.22.2012

Posts: 788

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Community Moderator (1) Quality Post (1) Backer! (1)
Skitterin wrote:
I assumed everyone would have a bag, the kickstarter one was just cooler. I thought they said the kickstarter backpack wouldn't impact gameplay. A bigger bag would do that...

Yes, there are 3 sizes. You start with small, then can find medium or large. The Kickstarter is just a cool looking large sized backpack with a small movement speed bonus.
The Rules | Jackal Mod Manager | Brotherhood of the Dead Clan
Image
Not a Sandswept developer, just a volunteer moderator.

Joined: Apr.03.2012

Posts: 2118

^ Top
 
Offline
If your non perma death and join a perma death server then leave right as you are dieing or after being bitten and join a non perma death server again? what happens then?
No Signature

Joined: Aug.01.2012

Posts: 29

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Spotlighted! (1) Backer! (1)
jamesryan099 wrote:
If your non perma death and join a perma death server then leave right as you are dieing or after being bitten and join a non perma death server again? what happens then?


You can't join a perma-death server with a non-hardcore character.
Exploration Team of the World, a whople lotta fun.


"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Joined: Apr.21.2012

Posts: 5120

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
To answer multiple questions in this thread... Read carefully.

Q: You've said that difficulty will be tied to characters and NOT the server. What if I want everyone to be required to play on Hard or Perma-death difficulty on my server?
A: Server hosts will have the option to allow any difficulties they want on their server. You can mix and match, or only allow a single difficulty. This means that in order for players to join your server, they must select, change, or create a character that is the correct difficulty

Q: Can I change a easy/medium/hard difficulty character to Perma-Death?
A: No. Perma-death characters are the exception to this. A perma-death character must be created as a perma-death character from the beginning and can never change that. However, all other difficulty types can be changed as you please.

Q: What if I join a perma-death server with a non-perma-death character?
A: Simply put, you can't. Servers will be able to select what difficulties they allow. They CAN mix and match anything they want, but a server that chooses to allow ONLY perma-death characters will not allow any non perma-death characters to join.

Q: Great! Will I have to manually ban players when they are killed?
A: When a perma-death character is killed, they are automatically unable to play with that character any longer. We are also looking into adding some server options for an automatic ban system when a perma-death player is killed, so they can not rejoin with a new perma-death character from the same account. More on that later.

Q: What is the current state of inventory persistence in The Dead Linger?
A: Currently, for Alpha, inventory persistence will be on a PER-SERVER basis. This means that you will NOT bring your inventory from one server to another, but you WILL bring your inventory to other WORLDS. If your favorite server changes to a new world, you will keep all of the gear and items you have found. We found this to be the most elegant solution to the impending problem of Alpha and Beta release requiring you to restart new worlds to experience new world generation as we update the game on a very regular and frequent basis.

Q: Awesome solution! So is my profile inventory data all saved on the client (my) side?
A: No. All inventory data and world position data is saved on the server side. Whoever is hosting the server saves all that data.

Q: Cool! But what if the server host deletes my profile save on his server and I lose all my progress on gear and items?
A: Unfortunately, that person is a -sweep!- (the scientific Latin word is douchebag), and there is nothing we can do about that. We will never replace or be able to replace lost items or hardcore character progress. Please make sure you are playing on trusted and friendly servers for the smoothest experience when TDL goes live. If a person or clan hosting a server is being a jerk to people joining their server, go find a better server.

Q: What are premium items?
A: Premium items are special items, such as the Kickstarter backpack, that are tied to your entire account, and obtainable by all your characters.

Q: Are premium items better?
A: Compared to some items, yes. Compared to obtainable items, no. The premium items are no better than items that can be found in the game. The only difference is that they are easier to obtain and allow players to get going in a brand new world or on a new character without so much scavenging.

Q: Do I have to use my premium items, like The Kickstarter backpack?
A: Nope. You can completely ignore their existence if you feel it's unfair for other players or just not fun for you. If you don't want a Large backpack from the get-go, or you like another backpack better, you don't need to ever bother with the premium items you may have.

Q: Can a server host turn off the ability for players to acquire their premium items?
A: Most likely. This would make sense for people who want to bring every player down to the same level at the start, for things such as a "Last Man Standing" or "Hunger Games" gametypes. Premium items will not imbalance gameplay, except initially in PvP, giving the player access to a few more basic items than other players may have at the fresh start of a new world. In non-competitive modes (such as Survival/Coop), the balance is not affected whatsoever.

Q: Do all my characters get a premium item?
A: Every character will be able to get a copy of your premium items that you own from the mailbox.

Q: What happens if I drop premium items on the ground like other items?
A: The premium item will be destroyed if it is dropped on the ground. You will be asked before hand if you are sure you want to delete the premium item.

Q: So is that premium item gone forever if I've destroyed or otherwise lost it?
A: No, you can always go back to the mailbox to get a new one. You can never have two of the same premium item in your possession, unless you have specifically bought or otherwise received two.

Q: Can I trade a premium item to another player?
A: No, they are bound to your characters and your characters only.

Q: Will there be other premium items besides The Kickstarter backpack?
A: We are interested in bringing more premium items out later on, but right now The Kickstarter and a few other special items (items rewarded to special users by Sandswept, and so on) will be the only Premium items we have planned at this time. The Dead Linger will never be "Pay To Win." Full stop.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

Joined: Feb.10.2010

Posts: 7947

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Artiste (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
Thats going to help alot
Btw you answered what are premium items twice

zag wrote:
Q: What are premium items? <--------------
A: Premium items are special items, such as the Kickstarter backpack, that are tied to your entire account, and obtainable by all your characters.

Q: Are premium items better?
A: Compared to some items, yes. Compared to obtainable items, no. The premium items are no better than items that can be found in the game. The only difference is that they are easier to obtain and allow players to get going in a brand new world or on a new character without so much scavenging.

Q: What are premium items? <----------------
A: Premium items are special items, such as the Kickstarter backpack, that are tied to your entire account, and obtainable by all your characters.

Image
-----------
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

Joined: Apr.10.2012

Posts: 3844

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
xxswatelitexx wrote:
Btw you answered what are premium items twice

Fixed.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

Joined: Feb.10.2010

Posts: 7947

^ Top
 
Offline
I advise you to put that in a seperate thread with a sticky Zag. Something like a FAQ.
No Signature

Joined: Aug.02.2012

Posts: 8

^ Top
 
Offline
I guess that was from the podcast?
Nice of you to copy all that what was asked, but you could've just linked us to the whole thing, maybe some didn't know about it yet.

Quote:
Q: What is the current state of inventory persistence in The Dead Linger?
A: Currently, for Alpha, inventory persistence will be on a PER-SERVER basis. This means that you will NOT bring your inventory from one server to another, but you WILL bring your inventory to other WORLDS. If your favorite server changes to a new world, you will keep all of the gear and items you have found. We found this to be the most elegant solution to the impending problem of Alpha and Beta release requiring you to restart new worlds to experience new world generation as we update the game on a very regular and frequent basis.


Well, ^that. Nothing to add, but like I asked earlier:
If you guys plan to keep "per-server" inventory, what happens to non-Kickstrter user and their bagpacks? Are there still going to be different sizes, so we have to start with the smallest one on every new server?
Image

Joined: Apr.05.2012

Posts: 650

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Ben101a wrote:
I advise you to put that in a seperate thread with a sticky Zag. Something like a FAQ.

I understand your reasoning, but we don't need more stickies. You guys will mine, save, and link to this info in the future, so here is will it shall stay.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

Joined: Feb.10.2010

Posts: 7947

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Darcurse wrote:
I guess that was from the podcast?

No, I just wrote all that 10 minutes ago.

Quote:
If you guys plan to keep "per-server" inventory, what happens to non-Kickstrter user and their bagpacks? Are there still going to be different sizes, so we have to start with the smallest one on every new server?

The question is answered later on in the post, leading me to believe you did not read past that portion.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

Joined: Feb.10.2010

Posts: 7947

^ Top
 
Offline
Quote:
No, I just wrote all that 10 minutes ago.

Nice of you.


Regarding my question:

Psych'd...

You put it under "Are premium items better?"
I naturally skipped this specific part since I thought it was going like: "Are the bagpacks you can find worse?".

Well knowing the answer it do bothers me, since the "Inventory" isn't like your regular item.
I can kill the zombies with every weapon I can find may it be a lead pipe, knife, stone, gun, flame thrower or a nuke.
I can enjoy eating so many different delicious things even after the outbreak.
But I have only one place to store it and it's not comparable to a stationary box placed somewhere on the world.
Image

Joined: Apr.05.2012

Posts: 650

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Artiste (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
I don't know about allowing all servers to shut off premium items.

It would be kind of bad that if all servers decided to turn off premium items and all of a sudden something you paid for is no longer usable
Image
-----------
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

Joined: Apr.10.2012

Posts: 3844

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
xxswatelitexx wrote:
I don't know about allowing all servers to shut off premium items.

It would be kind of bad that if all servers decided to turn off premium items and all of a sudden something you paid for is no longer usable

I am positive many servers would still allow them and you would want to create or find one that had the playstyle you enjoy. However, this is all in development and any information here is subject to change. It is however "current" as of this post.

Darcurse wrote:
But I have only one place to store it and it's not comparable to a stationary box placed somewhere on the world.

You can store items wherever you want in the world. We just can't guarantee the world won't frequently reset during Alpha. Most people will want to restart worlds to get the new content we add (and keep the world from breaking entirely.) So keep really important stuff in your (decently sized) inventory, and play on a server that you trust.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

Joined: Feb.10.2010

Posts: 7947

^ Top
 
Offline
xxswatelitexx wrote:
I don't know about allowing all servers to shut off premium items.

It would be kind of bad that if all servers decided to turn off premium items and all of a sudden something you paid for is no longer usable


Well, seeing that at least the Kickstarter bagpack is nowhere near "overpowered", I guess only those with a really good reason ("hardcore last man standing"-servers e.g.) or jerks would do this.

Well and not so many jerks are going to spent money on a public server only to ruin it's reputation

Zag wrote:
You can store items wherever you want in the world. We just can't guarantee the world won't frequently reset during Alpha. Most people will want to restart worlds to get the new content we add (and keep the world from breaking entirely.) So keep really important stuff in your (decently sized) inventory, and play on a server that you trust.


Well Alpha is one thing.
Talking about the actual release and ultimately the choice we will end up with (per-world or persistent) is what I had in mind.
Let's see where this is going, but nevertheless l'm going to curse you guys anyway, since no matter how big my bagpack is going to be it won't be enough.
One hell of an ingame collector : "Keep everything you find and that is NOT 100% proven to be useless, since it could be of use somewhere,sometime!"
Image

Joined: Apr.05.2012

Posts: 650

^ Top
 
Offline
Backer! (1)
xxswatelitexx wrote:
I don't know about allowing all servers to shut off premium items.

It would be kind of bad that if all servers decided to turn off premium items and all of a sudden something you paid for is no longer usable


What? Its their server, they should be able to do whatever they want. If you don't like the server, go to another. I assure you there will be plenty.
No Signature

Joined: Apr.08.2012

Posts: 2

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Community Moderator (1) Quality Post (1) Backer! (1)
Arrkangel wrote:
What? Its their server, they should be able to do whatever they want. If you don't like the server, go to another. I assure you there will be plenty.

He's saying if almost all servers turn them off, that's a legitimate concern when there's payed content since it's possibly many people will feel like items such as the Kickstarter are pay to win except worse since it's not even possible for them to buy if they wanted. But I would hope not, the idea is for them to not be unbalanced so turning them off is mostly pointless, so why even have the option?
The Rules | Jackal Mod Manager | Brotherhood of the Dead Clan
Image
Not a Sandswept developer, just a volunteer moderator.

Joined: Apr.03.2012

Posts: 2118

^ Top
 


Back to Top of Page