LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
Zag wrote:
1) Everything is possible. Many things are not reasonable or feasible.

2) Wind direction is very minor on bullets, except over very long range. It's probably not going to be taken into account on bullet trajectory.

3) We want bullets to drop over long distances. You just have to aim higher for further away targets. (Bullets generally drop a noticeable amount on your average rifle around 100 - 150 meters.)

If you want a firing range, you're more than welcome to make one with objects and stuff. There's no rules against practicing shooting. As to whether or not this will improve your 'skill' with a rifle or something is TBD. We'll let you know what we decide when we get there.

Thanks for this. I agree with all your points.
Why Not?

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1)
Zag wrote:
1) Everything is possible. Many things are not reasonable or feasible.

2) Wind direction is very minor on bullets, except over very long range. It's probably not going to be taken into account on bullet trajectory.

3) We want bullets to drop over long distances. You just have to aim higher for further away targets. (Bullets generally drop a noticeable amount on your average rifle around 100 - 150 meters.)

If you want a firing range, you're more than welcome to make one with objects and stuff. There's no rules against practicing shooting. As to whether or not this will improve your 'skill' with a rifle or something is TBD. We'll let you know what we decide when we get there.

While on the topic, will there be different ammo for different guns or a generic pistol/rifle/machine gun ammo? And if the is specific will they have variable types? (hollow points, fmj, ballistic tipped, tracer)
Maybe we are going about this wrong. If they want to bite us, I say we bite them back!

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Warborne wrote:
While on the topic, will there be different ammo for different guns or a generic pistol/rifle/machine gun ammo? And if the is specific will they have variable types? (hollow points, fmj, ballistic tipped, tracer)

Variable casings, maybe.

Different calibers, yes. You will need the proper rounds for the proper rifles.

As of right now, all you need to do is have the ammunition in your inventory and it will be used.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

In my mind weapon skills such as reload speed are a bit over done especially since this isn't an war simulating FPS base values for reload speed should be given. Although this isn't a Simulator or well... specifically a weapon simulator I think weapon familiarization should be a factor....

For example;

Allotted time to be spent with weapons to become fully familiar (which includes speedier reload times and weapon stability) is more something you work on weapon to weapon instead of an overall skill that makes you automatically familiar with every weapon of the same type.
No Signature

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
blehst wrote:
Allotted time to be spent with weapons to become fully familiar (which includes speedier reload times and weapon stability) is more something you work on weapon to weapon instead of an overall skill that makes you automatically familiar with every weapon of the same type.

I wanted each weapon to have an individual familiarity bar, but no one else wanted it.
Why Not?

^ Top

H4Z4RD wrote:
blehst wrote:

I wanted each weapon to have an individual familiarity bar, but no one else wanted it.

I haven't had the time to read through all the threads since I'm new but I definitely agree with you on that subject, I feel as though getting used to every weapon TYPE such as shotguns, rifles, pistols, bows should be separated with a familiarity bar as you mentioned.
No Signature

^ Top

H4Z4RD wrote:
blehst wrote:

What about this.
Using a pistol 1 raises familiarity with pistol 1
But also raises familiarity with pistol 2,3,4 etc but in a very small amount.

^ Top

TheArhive wrote:
H4Z4RD wrote:
blehst wrote:

What about this.

Well my idea was that under the "pistol" category, as soon as that type of weapon is used the overall familiarity with the rest of them reflect on the usage of each of that same type.
No Signature

^ Top

TheArhive wrote:
H4Z4RD wrote:
What about this.

Mind reader. This is the best concept IMO.
Why Not?

^ Top

H4Z4RD wrote:
TheArhive wrote:
H4Z4RD wrote:
What about this.

Mind reader. This is the best concept IMO.

You just wrote that i wrote that you wrote it.
I wrote it dammit!

^ Top

Quote fail lol
Why Not?

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I'd have to agree with Arhive. It makes the most sense, and I don't see why using one weapon should familiarize you with all of the models in that weapon type. Doesn't work that way in RL (If we're trying to be realistic)
I paid Fifty dollars to be hunted down, attacked, and stressed out by zombies. Does anyone else see a problem here?

^ Top

It odes actually
if you shoot a gun you will be at least somewhat familiar with another gun of similar type.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Aye familiar, but even my brother's shotgun doesn't shoot like mine. I have to change my entire shooting style to compensate.

You most likely will not pick up two similar models and get the same results.

I was referencing earlier if I didn't make myself clear. If you use one weapon it should be familiar for all weapon models in the specific type (IE x Pistol increases Pistol Familiarity across the table at the same rate for every single pistol model.) <---- Which it shouldn't be.
I paid Fifty dollars to be hunted down, attacked, and stressed out by zombies. Does anyone else see a problem here?

^ Top

That was not what i meant
The pistol you are using gets much more stuff x)
and rest of them get only a small bit of that.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
TheArhive wrote:
That was not what i meant
The pistol you are using gets much more stuff x)
and rest of them get only a small bit of that.

Exactly I was agreeing with you, I was referencing an earlier post, I apologize I should have quoted it directly.

^ Top

Ok, you got me confused there :3

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Perfectly fine, I make connections sometimes and I don't make the connection clear :P

^ Top

Showcased! (1)
H4Z4RD wrote:
I still think individual weapons skills is a good idea.

Same here, but i have some more ideas for weapons in my head, with an eye on realism;

Firearms suggestions
-Adjusting sights
Most medium-long range weapons and some pistols have adjustable iron sights, such as the AK and its variants, that need to be re-adjusted when aiming from enemies at short ranges to enemies that are 900 yards away from you, perhaps this could be done in-game?

-Correct ammo system
This one's simple, if you come across an AR15 with 5,56 20/30rd STANAG magazines you can't use it's ammo to load your e.g. FN SCAR-H or AKM.
If you come across AR15 magazines but you´re carrying a Steyr AUG (any variant) you'll have to take only the bullets and load 'm into AUG magazines later.
So if you have a 120 5.56x45 bullets but only 3 AUG magazines, you can only use 90 of those bullets.

-Perhaps a cleaning system?
Weapons need to stay cleaned, or they'll jam (more often).

Perhaps i'll add some more ideas in a not-too-distant future!
Steam; http://steamcommunity.com/id/VeryTastyOrange
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juicelikesoranges/

"Don't trust every quote on the internet." - Albert Einstein

^ Top

Alrighty, Just read through the thread here and I've devised a somewhat complex system to compromise.

Say you have Sniper A, you grow to a maximum proficiency with this sniper but would like to start using Sniper B due to ammo being more common. I believe if there was a "global" familiarity that would count, towards how fast you would become proficient with other snipers, as well as allow you to raise their proficiency to a slight degree.

I.E,

Sniper A Skill -- 100%
Due to your maximized skill with Sniper A, your global familiarity would be say (From 10%.) 80%.
Sniper B Skill -- (From default 10%.) 50% + 20% Knowledge Gain (Learn quicker.)

So basically, the global and individual skills would start at about say 10% (This being the lowest floor value.) just from basic speculation on how the weapon would function. As you begin to grasp the basics on how this set of weapons would function, your global and individual weapon skills would rise until your individual skill would cap. To max your "global" sniper skill you would have to fire and become decent with several snipers, to grab a basic understanding of them.

This system, from my own opinion, would show both how weapons in the same category are both different, and alike. Firing with a sniper rifle would have the same principles, shoulder the weapon, line up your target, adjust for drop/windage, fire. Different rifles however would operate differently, such as bolt or semi-automatic actions.

EDIT: To the concept of over time you become less skilled with weapons, it is true that over time you would forget how some things worked, and how others responded, but it wouldn't be a total loss of operation. Say if you maximize Sniper A, the most you could forget would be say 50%. Which would also result in a loss of the general skill.

I understand with the value's as is the system could be too over powered and the percentages would have to be changed and played with.

And from my rather basic knowledge of scripting, all of this wouldn't be too hard to do.
No Signature

^ Top

Back to Top of Page