LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Backer! (1)
Will explosives be at all effective as zombie-killing weapons? If you chuck a grenade into a group of zombies, it might blow off a leg or two, but will it actually do anything but slow them down? Same goes for mines, C4 and - arguably - grenade launchers and RPG's.
No Signature

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Cowey42 wrote:
So I shouldn't play a buddha and sacrifice myself to save a starving family of zombies?
Well there's my plan out the window. Guess I might even have to kill them now.

I'm not sure you understand the concept of who Buddha is/was. But I get your... strange point.

Krospgnasker wrote:
Will explosives be at all effective as zombie-killing weapons? If you chuck a grenade into a group of zombies, it might blow off a leg or two, but will it actually do anything but slow them down? Same goes for mines, C4 and - arguably - grenade launchers and RPG's.

Sounds realistic. That said, shrapnel can still hit the head, so...
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Zag wrote:
Krospgnasker wrote:

Sounds realistic. That said, shrapnel can still hit the head, so...

True. But if you don't mind, I'll just cite what Max Brooks' The Zombie Survival Guide has to say about explosives:

"Question: What could be better than hurling a hand grenade at a mass of approaching zombies? Answer: almost anything. Anti-personnel explosives kill mainly by shrapnel, metal shards tearing through vital organs. As this will not affect zombies, and the chance of shrapnel penetrating the skull is slim, grenades, bombs, and other explosive tools are inefficient weapons."

Shrapnel is designed to pierce all the important fleshy bits in the torso and abdomen, not go through bone. That said, the books goes on to say:

"These devices should not be completely discounted, though. For blasting doors, creating instant barricades, or even scattering zombie mobs, nothing works better than a jar of gunpowder."

Anyway, my point is basically that I hope you'll make explosives as realistic as possible.
No Signature

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1)
Krospgnasker wrote:
Anyway, my point is basically that I hope you'll make explosives as realistic as possible.
To be fair I'm pretty sure an RPG could tear through a zombie.
Actually wait no, it's time for the Sandswept testing arena!

Time to buy some dead pigs and some C4.
Best get ready, because things are going to get messy.
I'm ... not very coherent.

^ Top

Have you guys decided on what kind of way to move objects? E.g the amnesia method (which I think would be the best) or one where you actually have animations for the hands?

^ Top

iMuzzaa wrote:
Have you guys decided on what kind of way to move objects? E.g the amnesia method (which I think would be the best) or one where you actually have animations for the hands?
I remember Zag saying that it should be kinda like amnesia, although amnesia you didn't move around that many sofas, so there'll probably be a weak drag across the floor for larger objects.

They'll have to tweak around with it, it's not always easy to make systems like that fluid, Valve make awesome games but the object interaction in their games has always irked me a little bit.

Quick Update: I've added object interaction and available guns on alpha release to the OP.
#2: As well as Stamina, Jumping an Genre of the game. //Few more updates planned for later.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
As long as its possible to drag heavy objects (Just been playing Skyrim, had a lot of trouble moving stuff) then I don't mind whether the hands are shown or not.
That said, will you need to have both hands empty to drag something, or will you be able to drag something/someone while holding a one handed weapon?
A semicolon in every post or your money back!

^ Top

I didn't find this in the FAQ or on other pages, so I'm asking here:

Is there a player limit for multiplayer games? In my opinion, I think 8 or more would be great. But will it be forced by the developers or will it be a server-side option?
No Signature

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
FoxPT wrote:

Is there a player limit for multiplayer games? In my opinion, I think 8 or more would be great. But will it be forced by the developers or will it be a server-side option?

I believe the limit for alpha is 16.
Why Not?

^ Top

Backer! (1)
H4Z4RD wrote:
FoxPT wrote:

H4Z4RD is correct.
I also want to add that 16 is the minimum they are aiming for.
No Signature

^ Top

mathrian wrote:
H4Z4RD wrote:
FoxPT wrote:

H4Z4RD is correct.
I also want to add that 16 is the minimum they are aiming for.

That is great! Thank you both for the replies.

I also wanted to ask if after the first alpha release the game will still be at the current price, so that I can check some reviews before deciding to buy it or not.

Will there be posts on the website warning of price changes?
No Signature

^ Top

FoxPT wrote:
That is great! Thank you both for the replies.

I also wanted to ask if after the first alpha release the game will still be at the current price, so that I can check some reviews before deciding to buy it or not.

Will there be posts on the website warning of price changes?
It should be, $25 right?

As for posts on the website, it would make sense to put some ads pointing out "Last call to get the game at $25 before Beta release!", to give some more incentive to those unsure whether to buy to get moving before the price goes up, but that probably won't be for a while.

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Yes, we'll provide some warning before a price increase. That is a LONG ways off.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

I have a simpe question regarding food. I know you will need to eat and that it will affect certain attributes of your character. I've also heard that prolonged periods without food will lead to death. This may sound silly but I'm asking this for the sake of actual roleplaying and immersion in the game; when you eat something, say a can of beans, will you just click it in your inventory and it vanishes and suddenly you've eaten it (like in oblivion/skyrim/stalker) or will the player actually open the can and sit there for a while. I read somewhere that when you open your inventory, you will actually take off your backpack and open it, thus making the inventory screen pop up. If you would actually be physically eating something for a while in-game I would be sooo happy! It would definitely add to the immersion and feel of the game. Imagine coming back to your safehouse after a long day of work and struggle, make yourself a simple meal and then just... eat it! Like actually, EAT IT :D

Edit: I love the smileys :)
No Signature

^ Top

Is there a thread about taming dogs and such? Similar to I Am Legend? I'd look thoroughly through the search function, but my last exam was today and I just can't be arsed.

^ Top

Artiste (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
Tamed Animals
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=907
-----------
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

^ Top

Backer! (1)
nice, knew all of this but. still :3
|
-----
|
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Zag wrote:
Also; terrain features 'supported' doesn't mean all will be present. But we'd like to have a huge range of diverse places. The ones I can confirm are:
- Suburban (friendly neighborhood housing, school districts, parks)
- City (skyscrapers, larger buildings, industrial districts, city parks)
- Rural (Farmland, cornfields, wheatfields, barns, farmhouses)
- Forestry (national parks, pine forests, dense forests)
- Caves, sewers, old mineshafts are do-able, and we'd plan to do them.

which of these are going to be in alpha upon release?
No Signature

^ Top

Community Moderator (1) Quality Post (1) Backer! (1)
ozo16 wrote:

All but the last seem very likely to be there already in some state, but we'll just have to wait and see unless Zag has a very specific set he wants for alpha. I consider suburban to be confirmed though as that's what has been in all the recent screenshots.
The Rules | Jackal Mod Manager | Brotherhood of the Dead Clan
Not a Sandswept developer, just a volunteer moderator.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
PEGelite wrote:
ozo16 wrote:

All but the last seem very likely to be there already in some state, but we'll just have to wait and see unless Zag has a very specific set he wants for alpha. I consider suburban to be confirmed though as that's what has been in all the recent screenshots.

I just wasn't really sure how far the team planned on taking alpha. Judging by the screens the suburbs will make it in. But as for the rest of the terrain, you're probably right. Thanks
No Signature

^ Top

Back to Top of Page