LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1)
Im not quite sure if this could be possible in a zombie apocalypse but do you think be able to forge weapons could work?
No Signature

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
I'm not sure what you're asking. What do you mean by "forge weapons"?
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Like gather materials and smelt them and what not or just as simple of getting duck tape and putting nails together.... Just a random thought that I had
No Signature

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1)
I think that'd be pretty complicated to achieve, unless there's preset gun frames, but it seems simpler just to exclude the feature altogether. There's a lot of nuances with such a process, I doubt any of us even know how to smelt a gun, any issues with it, you know stuff like that.
I'm ... not very coherent.

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
Id like something like this, but I dont know how it would work.
Why Not?

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
We're still designing some kind of crafting system. Suggestions welcome on how you'd like that to be.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Community Moderator (1) Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
Zag wrote:
We're still designing some kind of crafting system. Suggestions welcome on how you'd like that to be.

Oooh. Interesting.
Theta Studios
Steam Profile

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Backer! (1)
There's a chance of a steel mill in each built up area where you can melt down other weapons, but to turn them into a gun or other complex weapon or tool then you would have to find the appropriate molds, or something - im not positive on how they go about stuff in the metal industry
khan

^ Top

Glad i asked about it!
No Signature

^ Top

How about if you take control of a steel mill or something like it, you could be able to fix up the cranes and blowtorches and welding equipment and stuff? then you could do things like produce sheet-metal, which you could plate vehicles or windows/dooors with? Of course, it would require lots of electricity, possibly from a powerplant
No Signature

^ Top

I dislike this idea. The problem with it is the probabilty of a steel mill still being operational. Even if there was one these survivors are for the most part regular people who would not know how to work a steel mill or assemble a gun from scratch. I know someone is going to bring up one of the videos were a soldier assembles a gun blindfolded but you must remember there is a difference between assembling a gun and building one from raw materials found in a post apocalypse.
Twitter

Now the nightmares real
Now the Zed are here
To make you quake with fear
To make the whole world kneel
And I wont feel
A thing

^ Top

Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
The idea of factories is interesting. I think you would need to put a whole lot of work into finding the stuff to get the mill up and running to make it somewhat balanced. A bullet factory for example could give a seriously unfair advantage unless it took a lot of work to produce a batch.
If these sort of buildings were properly balanced I think they could work great in the game.

Also is there going to be electricity in the game and if so will there be much of a supply / will you be able to operate power stations?
No Signature

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Spotlighted! (1) Quality Post (1) Showcased! (2) Backer! (1)
Roaper wrote:
I dislike this idea. The problem with it is the probabilty of a steel mill still being operational. Even if there was one these survivors are for the most part regular people who would not know how to work a steel mill or assemble a gun from scratch. I know someone is going to bring up one of the videos were a soldier assembles a gun blindfolded but you must remember there is a difference between assembling a gun and building one from raw materials found in a post apocalypse.

Well, the existence of zombies wouldn't make things suddenly stop working. More than likely most steel mills would be "operational" but as you said, the average person couldn't run one.

However there may be stockpiles of gun parts at weapon manufacturers, and simpler components could be created at a machine shop.

^ Top

I somewhat like the idea of factories. It is nice to thing of some buildings having worth beyond simply being a shelter. But many buildings would be down because there is electricity that goes into working these factories. At the very least I would accept if through hard work a clan recaptured a town/city and through cooperation and communication got electricity running. Then the reward for the hard work would be factories running at minimal functions, but they would still require constant maintenance and skills.
Twitter

Now the nightmares real
Now the Zed are here
And I wont feel
A thing

^ Top

Roaper wrote:
I dislike this idea... regular people would not know how to work a steel mill or assemble a gun from scratch
Most people would be able to figure out how to use welding tools, and steel mills have plenty of them. As far as making Sheet Metal, maybe you could just take a bunch of metal scraps and weld them together
No Signature

^ Top

He's talking about getting raw steel and smelting that down all the way to making guns from scratch.
Twitter

Now the nightmares real
Now the Zed are here
And I wont feel
A thing

^ Top

BKDiesel wrote:
Well, the existence of zombies wouldn't make things suddenly stop working. More than likely most steel mills would be "operational" but as you said, the average person couldn't run one.

However there may be stockpiles of gun parts at weapon manufacturers, and simpler components could be created at a machine shop.

I agree on this point, some industrial sites and almost all tool shops and fabrication shops would be good to go for several years after the event, as long as water doesn't get in and rats don't chew cables or something.

So for most machines all you would need is a mid-sized 3 faze generator. (for laths, drill presses, mills, grinders, plasma cutters etc.)
Bigger machines like a CNC would need a large full sized generator. ( A CNC is a machines that can be programed to cut blocks and sheets of metal into different parts, like a gearbox sprocket or a gun receiver)

And then tools like oxy acetylene torches would run without power as long as you have fuel and a way to light it. They could be used for welding and cutting basic stuff.
Regards,
Me

^ Top

It could follow the same rules as like sykrim to keep it simple.
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I think this would unnecessarily complicate things in game. Maybe mod that adds this, when the full game would be released. I understand making a bow from a ski and a bit of nylon rope, but forging items is a bit beyond improvised weapons.
Just felt like contributing.
Another contribution.

^ Top

Spotlighted! (1) Backer! (1)
I'm pretty sure your average gun is made of an alloy, not just steel. I know for a fact that it's not as simple as pouring them together and putting the mix in a mold and cooling. if you cool too fast, you could fracture the metal, and if you get any number of things wrong along the way, you could have just wasted a whole day making something doomed to fail.

Without a supply of coal coming, you'd have to depend on what's there to make coke and heat the furnace.
Exploration Team of the World, a whople lotta fun.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

^ Top

Back to Top of Page