LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Sandsweeper wrote:
Better, or worse?

That's more accurate. :)
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Backer! (1)
I'd be quite happy playing single player as a lone survivor, only finding remnants of past survivors (that being the scattered journal entries, if this goes into the game)
khan

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1)
Well hopefully, but seeing as how much everyone loves the idea so far and that we already have multiple entries I'm thinking it's rather certain that nice little easter eggs like that will make the final cut.
I'm ... not very coherent.

^ Top

Sandsweeper wrote:
Well hopefully, but seeing as how much everyone loves the idea so far and that we already have multiple entries I'm thinking it's rather certain that nice little easter eggs like that will make the final cut.

Lore != Easter Eggs
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Zag wrote:
Sandsweeper wrote:
Lore != Easter Eggs
Wouldn't lore have to be something in a definitive, set in stone, sorta thing. A randomly generated character diary page is a little ... borderline between a Easter Egg and Lore isn't it? I mean you could consider it as either, right?

It's a little like the legendary ending of Halo games, it's lore and a easter egg.

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1)
Cool! About the death system, will the game have permanent death or a (not-so-cool) respawn system? If a zombie bit us, we'll get infected?
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed - The Dark Tower

^ Top

Community Moderator (1) Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
Walter Sullivan wrote:
Cool! About the death system, will the game have permanent death or a (not-so-cool) respawn system? If a zombie bit us, we'll get infected?

I'm pretty sure if you die, you stay dead :). Not sure in multiplayer though.
Theta Studios
Steam Profile

^ Top

Walter Sullivan wrote:
Erm, I dunno, Zag?
I'm assuming we'll have either a permenant death or a item loss, skill loss, back where you started respawn.

^ Top

We could include a 'perma-death' hard mode, but no, you won't lose your character when you die normally. Respawning will be present, but there will be various penalties. We're thinking along the lines of stat decreases (temporary or others), you'll drop certain items, such as food, and you'll respawn somewhere random, roughly X distance from where you died.

Something like that. We don't currently have any planned method for setting your respawn point, and likely never will, given the nature of the game.

We're not interested in someone making an awesome zombie fortress only to die and never get to use it again.
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

I'd like to see a perma-death server with an increased amount of zombies and everyone has to work together (and maybe during, subtly against each other?) to survive and the final person alive wins, or maybe two (or more) teams in the same world have to verse each other or work together and the final team with people alive wins.
khan

^ Top

Khan wrote:
I'd like to see a perma-death server with an increased amount of zombies and everyone has to work together (and maybe during, subtly against each other?) to survive and the final person alive wins, or maybe two (or more) teams in the same world have to verse each other or work together and the final team with people alive wins.

There's no reason you couldn't basically play like that with the currently planned setup, you'd just have to follow some honor system for a couple of the rules.

We're not sure if there will be multiple gametypes, but suggestions welcome. (Probably could make a Gametypes thread for that...)
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Swear this is going to be the only game I'll ever play haha :D
Might make a Gametypes thread..
khan

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
This and skyrim.
Why Not?

^ Top

Love the sound of this, just heard about it through a blog post from indie stone whose game i love and yours also sounds like its got amazing potential.

Would love to hear further information about this as soon as its available.

also i don't know if this is just because its a brand new site or bugs or something but when i tried to sign up from the main http://www.thedeadlinger.com it doesn't redirect me anywhere.

will be purchasing the alpha as soon as is available and we get some juicy footage. Understand however that it is still too early for that kind of thing at the moment.

good luck dudes!
No Signature

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1)
So this game was posted on project zomboid, and i had to check it out.... i've been waiting for a game like this ever since around 2005, i'd say that resident evil outbreak would be the closest to an idea like this.. and the servers for that closed down a few years ago.

So far sounds almost EXACTLY like the perfect game for me.

But i do have a few (actually quite a lot) of questions.

1. Will the game include any physics (ragdoll, cloth, maybe doors getting knocked down etc)?

2. How rare will ammo and weapons be? For example, will i feel like god if i find a pistol or will be finding a machine gun a common occourance?

3. If you find ammo, would you find random amounts (such as anywhere from 5 loose pistol bullets or something, up to a few clips at a time)?

4. Would there be weapon endurance in the game?

5. Will we be able to create our own characters, or would there be default characters to chose from?

6. Would there possibly be drivable vehicles in the game?

7. How would the inventory be set out? (I'm not sure if this was answered in another thread), would it be like in alone in the dark where you can look through your coat pockets, or would it be like in resident evil where you can select your items from a grid, or something else?

8. Would you be able to loot objects which are inside cupboards like in fallout 3, or would you just be able to open a cupboard fully like in amnesia and actually see the objects inside?

Most of these questions are probably not good questions since the game's in such early development, but still.

If i think of anything else then i'll ask again.

I actually have a lot of ideas for this game, but some of them might not be needed as they might require a different engine or whatever to the one you're planning to use, and some features might be expensive to do.. I think i have ideas that are too demanding, so maybe i'll just hold back on them.

^ Top

cool4345 wrote:
I'm assuming:

1. There will be ragdoll physics for zombies, you can knock down doors/windows (or at least zombies can) and there's probably some other physics systems put in place, I don't think they'd do cloth though, it is rather resource intensive. Although so would rendering/simulating hundreds of ragdolls, so Sandswept will probably implement a decomposition system or something.

2. Well people don't leave buckets of ammo lying around their house, in fact I don't think most people even have a gun, so I think it's safe to say ammo will be rather scarce.

3. Ammo will probably be in random amounts, you know people discharge their guns every once and while, and in a zombie apocolypse this would probably occur more and more.

4. Not entirely sure where they might go with this one, because either side has merits, weapon endurance is nice and realistic and all but if your weapons are always breaking on you it'll be a pain and fun is the predominate factor in the design. Sure they could tweak it every once and while but if in general people don't like the feature it'll probably be out.

5. Well each character will have it's own individual traits but I'm not sure how far Sandswept will go in actually making your own character, they might make it like Mass Effect or Dragon Age or simply make it "Male/Female" and make the character be defined by their traits, or altered by their traits.

6. I'd hope so, it only makes sense. Although not all cars will have a full tank of gas, a charged battery, etc.

7. Well the size of your inventory does depend on your cargo space, back packs/pockets/etc, but as for how you access it I'm not sure how they'll do that. I'm hoping for a box system like resident evil/deus ex human revolution/etc because those systems can hold reasonable standards for what a bag can hold/how much space everything can take and they're easy to manage/organise/in general use.

8. Well Sandswept is going for the realistic approch so I'm thinking they'll go with the latter, opening the door, picking up the things inside it one by one, etc.
cool4345 wrote:
Most of these questions are probably not good questions since the game's in such early development, but still.
Oh no these are great questions, the game has been in the design stages for a few years now so Zag probably has a lot of this stuff either ironed out or have a general idea of how he's going to do it.
cool4345 wrote:
I actually have a lot of ideas for this game, but some of them might not be needed as they might require a different engine or whatever to the one you're planning to use, and some features might be expensive to do.. I think i have ideas that are too demanding, so maybe i'll just hold back on them.
Oh no please, post all you ideas, I'm sure Sandswept will be glad to see them and even take some of them into consideration.

Remember this game is still in developement, everything is subject to change, so your few suggestions can not only make it into the game but alter the very way the game functions for the better, so don't hold back! Keep in mind though there's no garentees.

Also it's good to keep in mind nothing I post is in any way official, all the posts answering questions outside the FAQ are just assumptions I make based off how I would logically do things and/or how I assume the Sandswept team would do them, the FAQ itself is different because it is constructed from things said by Sandswept employees, it's probably not completely 100% accurate but I do try to keep it as accurate as possible and interpret the information I find in the way/manner/context it was intended.

^ Top

Arrunas wrote:
also i don't know if this is just because its a brand new site or bugs or something but when i tried to sign up from the main http://www.thedeadlinger.com it doesn't redirect me anywhere. !

Welcome, and sorry about that small bug. It's supposed to be the same login as your forum account. It's the same account as the one you're using to post here, just the bar doesn't show up/redirect properly.

We still have some things to fix up here when we get a few more backend systems in place.

Thanks for mentioning it though! :)

@cool4345; most of the above post is correct by Sandsweeper is correct, and things you should at least assume for the time being. Follows the vision pretty accurately.
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Showcased! (2) Backer! (1)
The game is currently on sale for $20 (for Alpha only) but I've seen basically nothing to show me if it's even worth it. Will we be able to refund before actual release? That is, if it doesn't turn out to be decent.
Cry "havoc!" and let slip the zombies of the coming apocalypse.

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
Brett wrote:
The game is currently on sale for $20 (for Alpha only) but I've seen basically nothing to show me if it's even worth it. Will we be able to refund before actual release? That is, if it doesn't turn out to be decent.
The game is not for sale yet, and wont be till at least December(ish) if not later. Also, nothing has been shown, and as Zag stated in another post, he wouldn't expect you to buy a game without any pics or videos.

And no, you wont be able to refund it. Although why would you want to?
Why Not?

^ Top

Brett wrote:

There will be screenshots and video before it's available for release. You'll have plenty of time to make a decision as to whether or not you want to buy it. We'll also be updating and improving, so if the alpha isn't as fun as you'd like, you can always check it out a ways down the road and find a lot of improvements and so forth.

We'll be very clear about what you would be purchasing when the time comes. :)
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Back to Top of Page