LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Something like scattered information around the map, so you could at least if you want try to find out the truth, maybe looking for news papers, if there is a military base maybe reading some printed records, idk if Im explaining myself so let me know.

Besides that way we take advantage of the creativity of the writter that is part of the TDL team, just in case he happens to have the time and will to create his own zombie story.

All of these because of the fact that at the beginning all of us would be looking to survive, if we by any means find a steady way to do so, survival wont be the priority anymore, then maybe it would be killing a large ammount of zombies either solo or with a team, afterwards it might get kinda boring, so either making survival hard so we have to keep on the move or adding something else to look for might be good.

Any ideas of what to add as optional quests are welcome.

Suggested ideas:

-journals with weapons locations, zombie insight, storytelling, and background story.

-interaction with friendly and not so friendly NPCs
No Signature

^ Top

Community Moderator (1) Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Backer! (1)
This seems as something more of a suggestion so I am moving it there. It would be fun to learn about it, see the symbol that borders the page, that's DOVRAC so who know what crazy thing that they will come up with.
I am not a Sandswept developer.

Zag wrote:
If you post anything that arouses me, I will permanently ban you.

Rules are Kewl: http://www.sandswept.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19

^ Top

Artiste (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
I would love having some sort of indirect story elements.
Not just about the out break, but other small things are also welcome.
-----------
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

^ Top

xxswatelitexx wrote:
I would love having some sort of indirect story elements.
Not just about the out break, but other small things are also welcome.

Such as...
No Signature

^ Top

Well say you find a book.
The book mentions he is from a house on Brandon Street. An that he feels bad he left his guns at home. If you find that house - tada.

Or Say you find a ex-cop [since no more cops are around]
He has been bitten, but he gives you the key to the secure area in the police station.
Problem of course being all the criminals are inside and free and infected.
He tells you a large stash of weapons and ammo are there.

Or say you find a teacher crying in her house. She tells she locked up all the kids before in the school before coming home. Because she couldn't "support" them all.
You go to the school to find an army of dead kids. [if kids ever get added]

As for the zombie cure.
Say you go to a rescue station. You find a note saying to take the "samples" to Grid B Z 94.
You find an army map to where that is. You find an abaondoned temporary base. You see surgical table and notes.

The notes point out information of the infection.
You may even find some classified information about how they think it came from the west. From some earlier report found at the Generals Office.

You look through some maps to find where the military base is.
The military base has some high grade weapons and hardware. But also some well armored zombies. You may find 1 - 2 survivors laying around. Inside you may find out the "truth" of the zombies. But it maybe a "high level" zone. Where you can't just go from the Get Go.
-----------

^ Top

xxswatelitexx wrote:
The book mentions he is from a house on Brandon Street. An that he feels bad he left his guns at home. If you find that house - tada.

Or Say you find a ex-cop [since no more cops are around]
He has been bitten, but he gives you the key to the secure area in the police station.
Problem of course being all the criminals are inside and free and infected.
He tells you a large stash of weapons and ammo are there.

Or say you find a teacher crying in her house. She tells she locked up all the kids before in the school before coming home. Because she couldn't "support" them all.
You go to the school to find an army of dead kids. [if kids ever get added]

As for the zombie cure.
Say you go to a rescue station. You find a note saying to take the "samples" to Grid B Z 94.
You find an army map to where that is. You find an abaondoned temporary base. You see surgical table and notes.

The notes point out information of the infection.
You may even find some classified information about how they think it came from the west. From some earlier report found at the Generals Office.

You look through some maps to find where the military base is.
The military base has some high grade weapons and hardware. But also some well armored zombies. You may find 1 - 2 survivors laying around. Inside you may find out the "truth" of the zombies. But it maybe a "high level" zone. Where you can't just go from the Get Go.

I would love that, thought i believe they dont plan to have NPC's so maybe the first example is the closest one to their vision of the game, regardless i believe they will miss a huge are of realism without NPC's, after all part of the choices you make need to be social at some degree, thus reveiling the kind of people you actually are or had become through adversity.

But loved your examples. Would you risk your life just to save another mouth to feed?, etc, im already seeing the universe of oportunities there.
No Signature

^ Top

Quality Post (1) Backer! (1)
xxswatelitexx wrote:

I love this idea, because it's not a mission but more of an option, do you want to leave your
"safezone" to find a storage full of weapons? Or do you rather keep going the way you are?

It would be nice to find notes of "special" weapons, but they should be hidden so it's harder to just stumble upon them without any real guidance.
No Signature

^ Top

I think I mentioned something like this in a recent post, I like what you're thinking, but so far there is talk of no cure, or no immunity, it maybe added perhaps later down the road, but Zag has this as a big 'No no.' as of now.
Love thy neighbor, and then take his T.V.

I tried to warn everybody, but they didn't listen... Reposts...

^ Top

Lucky Cat wrote:
I think I mentioned something like this in a recent post, I like what you're thinking, but so far there is talk of no cure, or no immunity, it maybe added perhaps later down the road, but Zag has this as a big 'No no.' as of now.

Well he said NO to npc's but kind of clues to find something valuable isnt such a crazy idea, maybe you find a wallet attached to some keys, in the wallet you find the id of the guy, so his address, then you go to at address and you can use the keys to his car, of maybe to his safe lock and get a gun out, something like that, the idea is to give some spice, i mentioned on another post the chance of having a pet, while it would make survival harder, it would kinda make you being scared of him dying, thus leading you to think twice before doing anything, after all we kinda need something to attach to, otherwise we would end all being cold zombie killers, and that aint real, or at least i dont think it will, so idk if npc's include a dog following you and barking and getting you in trouble for that.

Maybe even having him in your safe house, so now you need to find more food, or you come back to find out he has gone missing and you go out like crazy looking for him.

Picture it as "Im legend", the book, the one of richard matheson, not exaclty the movie, though both picture the idea about having something else to care for.
No Signature

^ Top

I'd like this. Maybe, for example. you could find files in a goverment base revealing the goverment created the virus, or something like that.
Sarcasm ho!

^ Top

Maxios20 wrote:
I'd like this. Maybe, for example. you could find files in a goverment base revealing the goverment created the virus, or something like that.

hah you ruined my suprise :P
-----------

^ Top

xxswatelitexx wrote:
Maxios20 wrote:

hah you ruined my suprise :P

As side quests would be interesting, just for the lolz.
No Signature

^ Top

I was talking about cures a/o immunities. I think the optional objectives is a great idea.
Love thy neighbor, and then take his T.V.

I tried to warn everybody, but they didn't listen... Reposts...

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Eclipse19st wrote:
I would love that, thought i believe they dont plan to have NPC's so maybe the first example is the closest one to their vision of the game, regardless i believe they will miss a huge are of realism without NPC's, after all part of the choices you make need to be social at some degree, thus reveiling the kind of people you actually are or had become through adversity.

Agreed. Human interaction is a big thing for a zombie apocalypse in my opinion. How will you manage socially now? Going forever seeing death, finding a person alive, what to do? Hostile people? People that have snapped? I always like how humans interact with other humans in circumstances like this. I like Day of the Dead because of this, the conflict between the scientists and soldiers while zombies are just outside. And Dawn of the Dead, when people on motorbikes raid the mall, thinking that is a good idea when there's more important matters, like surviving.

It's kind of one thing I didn't like too much in the L4D games - there were no other humans. Or well, visible humans. There were those people you just heard talking over a radio or from behind a closed door but never saw :/ "Church guy" was awesome though.
ARTWORK, PHOTOGRAPHY - by Savage Beatings

Hey Luke! I'm over here in the grass, man!

^ Top

I know, it would be kind of interesting to even have some kind of karma levels or something, they wont be of any practical use, only for maybe reputation ends, like for instance there is a woman or someone in danger, and you might decide to help them, to kill them or to ignore them. Of course i would like more complex choices, like having to risk your life in exchange of maybe a thank you, or who knows, maybe he knows where a weapon is, or he is a medic and knows where medicines are, idk.

Dont even mention if you find a hostile group that is abussing of another smaller group, or a single being.

The point is having opportunities to reflect yourself upon the game, maybe npc's dont even need to have much of an AI, if you save them they might just join you but stay at your safe house, so if for example he is a medic he might help you heal, or he is a soldier, he might give you some bonus on accuracy, something like that.

Inmersion is the key, hardcore players like me always try to play the game as if it was actually happening. so every choice is a reflection of yourself.
No Signature

^ Top

Actually I know they said "No NPCs" For now
But It would be nice to have a "NPC community" Something as in terreria. They don't do anything, they simply sell you different equipment. An each one comes at different times when you achieve certain criteria.

Though it would be much harder to make them follow you usefully. You could "assign" them rooms, in which they appear. "Sort of sneak into the room" or "Fade" in as necessary.

Or instead they could make it so the NPC's are certain buildings. Which you can't enter,, but you interact with through the door. So to get that "store" to work with you. You may need to do something as get a certain amount of supplies for them. Or clear out an area, so they can expand.
-----------

^ Top

xxswatelitexx wrote:
Actually I know they said "No NPCs" For now
But It would be nice to have a "NPC community" Something as in terreria. They don't do anything, they simply sell you different equipment. An each one comes at different times when you achieve certain criteria.

Though it would be much harder to make them follow you usefully. You could "assign" them rooms, in which they appear. "Sort of sneak into the room" or "Fade" in as necessary.

Or instead they could make it so the NPC's are certain buildings. Which you can't enter,, but you interact with through the door. So to get that "store" to work with you. You may need to do something as get a certain amount of supplies for them. Or clear out an area, so they can expand.

I aggree, even simple systems involving NPCs would add spice to the game, they dont need to be like humans, just part of preprogramed test, either of a choice, or a group you can trade with or do favours in exchange of others.
No Signature

^ Top

These optional objectives could also be much simpler, smaller and have a more direct impact on the gameplay. Don't get me wrong there's nothing I love more than a good storyline and lots of seperate experience stories as would exist in a zombie apocalypse, but when you're pushing for your bare survival sometimes finding out why you're in the situation you find yourself is a little low on the priority list.

To clarify my original statement, 'journals' and whatnot found as side quests, or information retrieved from facilities such as military bases, the CDC (if it makes an appearance?) and the like, are little tidbits of information. Maybe suggestions for what weapons might be more effective against specific strains of the infected, information as simple as "sound and light will attract the infected". Though this should be obvious to most people, and will likely become obvious very quickly upon a survivors first mistake, not everyone will be immediately aware of these facts. Perhaps they got lucky and no stray walkers would have heard that gunshot they let off, and this note could be a revelation.

Other information that could be included might be something a little less obvious and intuitive. Perhaps a lab facility that was studying the infected could have notes about their behavior, that (in the games story terms, that is to say, without it becoming a manual entry. It should stay in the game perspective so it should read like a lab report written by a likely long dead scientist) was left behind. It could note how the infected have their three observable behavior stages, the "Idle", "Interested", and "Engaged".

I think that these little gameplay tips and helpful hints, combined with overall story (and if written properly the tips would provide story as well, by creating a background of characters who seperately pieced this information, that the player (the survivor) is slowly putting together). it could give a little sense of wonder and mystery to the infected.

I think that this is an excellent suggestion, is the very winded point I am trying to make, let's just consider it in a very broad spectrum as a project of this anxiety requires!
Addendum Studios | Forums - Facebook
Mister Builder | Twitter - Tumblr - Reddit

^ Top

Community Moderator (1) Spotlighted! (1) Femme's Cookie (2) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
I am very much for these optional objectives. Maybe even you find a note saying there is a safe place with weapons and food, only to get there and find out it is a trap.
Finding the cause of the outbreak would be really interesting. Probably not high on a real survivor's priority list, but being able to should be included.
However, I think we should be clear about something.
No cure.
These aren't infected individuals, these are zombies.
They are dead.
There is no way to cure death.
Just a volunteer. Not affiliated with Sandswept Studios.
My channel

^ Top

This is of course, unless you are Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris can cure death. Then kill you.

However I do agree overall, no cure. Information about zombies? Yes. Dead end attempts to find cures? Absolutely. No real cure though.
Addendum Studios | Forums - Facebook
Mister Builder | Twitter - Tumblr - Reddit

^ Top

Back to Top of Page