LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Offline
I have a question. (Sorry if this is answered, I didn't see it.) When you get killed by zombies, in single player, I assume that you die and either reload, or your save is deleted (don't know how hardcore this is) But what about on servers-multiplayer. If you die on a server, are you dead permanently? Or will there be some sort of respawn (didn't think that this really fit in with the theme) Thanks!
No Signature

Joined: Mar.19.2012

Posts: 2

^ Top
 
Offline
Wow, fail, just saw someone asked pretty much the same question on the second page :P sorry about that.
No Signature

Joined: Mar.19.2012

Posts: 2

^ Top
 
Offline
Hey, sorry for being a bit pessimistic, but how many guys are on your team making this. Also why did you aim only for 60 000$, wasteland 2 aimed for 900 000$ and this seems a lot bigger project than it. I am excited as i am amused how is this even possible?
No Signature

Joined: Apr.10.2012

Posts: 2

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Community Moderator (1) Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
Nastard wrote:
Hey, sorry for being a bit pessimistic, but how many guys are on your team making this. Also why did you aim only for 60 000$, wasteland 2 aimed for 900 000$ and this seems a lot bigger project than it. I am excited as i am amused how is this even possible?


There are 12 members on Sandswept, or at least 12 registered on the forums.

I can't say much about Wasteland 2, but if I had to guess, they have a lot more people to employ and they know that they can get a lot more support from the community (bigger names, it's a sequel, etc.). Since it is a sequel to a legendary game they have the right to ask for $900,000. I think $60,000 is a modest amount to ask for, for an indie developer.
Theta Studios
Steam Profile

Joined: Sep.14.2011

Posts: 260

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
There seems to be this confusion that pops up again and again, despite the number of times we've explained it. The 60k is to get us through for 6 months until Alpha Release. After that, we will receive funding from the sold copies of the game.

If we were asking for the full development, yes, we would be asking for a lot more.

Please keep in mind that Wasteland 2 is a big dev studio, with a full-time staff. We're mostly young, very inexpensive guys, who can work for many hours on what is essentially Ramen funding. Most of the guys working on Wasteland 2, I guarantee you, have full families to support and higher salaries.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

Joined: Feb.10.2010

Posts: 7718

^ Top
 
Offline
Thanks for the answer. So yeah i am excited as hell if this game really comes out as it is promised. You definitely deserve more than 60 000 for six months to 12 people to finish this project. The only why i am being bit pessimistic is that, the last game you did was Detour, and it is like 1000 smaller project and now you are taking a very big leap with your team. I hope this wont be a disappointment, but still excited as hell. This is the game i have been waiting for a long time!

If i win lots of money in lottery i promise i donate at least 10 000$ for this project :)
No Signature

Joined: Apr.10.2012

Posts: 2

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Havent seen anything about a trading system, will there be any? Or is there any current approach to that concept with TDL?
No Signature

Joined: Apr.10.2012

Posts: 123

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Community Moderator (1) Quality Post (1) Backer! (1)
Eclipse19st wrote:
Havent seen anything about a trading system, will there be any? Or is there any current approach to that concept with TDL?

There may be, it doesn't seem to have been designed yet though. There's a topic about it here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=840
The Rules | Jackal Mod Manager | Brotherhood of the Dead Clan
Image
Not a Sandswept developer, just a volunteer moderator.

Joined: Apr.03.2012

Posts: 2108

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
PEGelite wrote:
Eclipse19st wrote:
Havent seen anything about a trading system, will there be any? Or is there any current approach to that concept with TDL?

There may be, it doesn't seem to have been designed yet though. There's a topic about it here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=840

ALready took a look, thanks for the assist.
No Signature

Joined: Apr.10.2012

Posts: 123

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Hey TDL, think i could get a later response on how do zombies detect you, mainly because I dont think smell plays a really important role on it, but i would rather know your exact position regarding that.

Pointing out some facts:

Humans are not at all good at smell tracking further than a couple of meters, unless hunters (if any).

Blood doesnt create an instense odor for humans to detect it further than 50m tops.

Tracking smells implies brain functions, which zombies tend to lack.
No Signature

Joined: Apr.10.2012

Posts: 123

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
Zag wrote:
Please keep in mind that Wasteland 2 is a big dev studio, with a full-time staff. We're mostly young, very inexpensive guys, who can work for many hours on what is essentially Ramen funding. Most of the guys working on Wasteland 2, I guarantee you, have full families to support and higher salaries.
Is Ramen funding a technical term? But yes, Wasteland 2 is a triple A title game and with at triple A studio behind them.
Why Not?

Joined: Jul.01.2011

Posts: 2399

^ Top
 
Offline
Backer! (1)
Hello, I'm a new member on these forums. I read through the FAQ on the first page, but did not see the answer for these questions. I'm sorry if these have been answered already.

-In forest, farm and similar areas, is hunting animals a possible way to acquire food? Are there things like deer running around?

-How hard is it to acquire things like ammunition? Can I just spray all hordes down, or will I have to conserve ammo? Or are there different difficulty levels that have different settings regarding things like this?

-Will equipment weight affect mobility?
No Signature

Joined: Apr.12.2012

Posts: 5

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Community Moderator (1) Quality Post (1) Backer! (1)
Onia wrote:
Hello, I'm a new member on these forums. I read through the FAQ on the first page, but did not see the answer for these questions. I'm sorry if these have been answered already.

-In forest, farm and similar areas, is hunting animals a possible way to acquire food? Are there things like deer running around?

-How hard is it to acquire things like ammunition? Can I just spray all hordes down, or will I have to conserve ammo? Or are there different difficulty levels that have different settings regarding things like this?

-Will equipment weight affect mobility?

I don't think that any of these have a confirmed answer yet, though there are a number of threads discussing these topics. On the subject of spraying hordes down, it's probably a really bad idea even if ammo is fairly common, only headshots will kill so you could potentially end up attracting zombies faster than you could kill them especially in an urban environment. It is fairly certain that stealthier play and melee combat will be the way to go when possible and single well aimed shots both much more effective and efficient for killing zombies than spraying. Pumping a hundred rounds into a zombie might rip it apart and immobilize it but it still won't be dead if you never hit the brain.
The Rules | Jackal Mod Manager | Brotherhood of the Dead Clan
Image
Not a Sandswept developer, just a volunteer moderator.

Joined: Apr.03.2012

Posts: 2108

^ Top
 
Offline
Backer! (1)
Here's a question that may or may not have been answered: will we get an in-game map?

As it's going to be a huge, open-world game with varied environments, a lot of the fun for me will be exploring. I'll move from place to place when I want to find a new and exciting place to hang out, not just when I exhaust my current hideout of all its resources. It could be done minecraft-style; the map would fill in as you explore and as the world generates. This wouldn't be unrealistic; after all, in real life a zombie apocalypse survivor would surely have maps.

I'd also want the ability to mark certain locations on my map so I could go back to them. Maybe I'm leaving a town for a new locale, and I take as much food as I can pack, but there's still some left in a supermarket. I could mark the town on my map, as a place to get food if I really need it.

Or maybe I'm driving to a new place and I see a really cool looking forest, but it's late at night and I'm running low on food and ammo; wouldn't be safe to check out the forest now. So I'd mark it on my map and head back in the daytime when better equipped.
I'm gonna need more rope.

Joined: Apr.10.2012

Posts: 110

^ Top
 
Offline
Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Backer! (1)
H4Z4RD wrote:
Is Ramen funding a technical term?

Basically, it means "just enough to pay living expenses".
No Signature

Joined: Oct.04.2011

Posts: 150

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
I have a question, since this is a PC FPS, what will be the default FOV and will there be a slider to adjust it in the options?
No Signature

Joined: Apr.06.2012

Posts: 20

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Morslok wrote:
I have a question, since this is a PC FPS, what will be the default FOV and will there be a slider to adjust it in the options?

Default is currently 80. You can adjust it between 60 and 120 at the moment.

There will be an in-game map. (See: Map equip slot) You'll press M to bring up your map. You can move around while your map is up, but you can't use your weapons.

Zombies detect you through the 5 senses. (sans taste. If they're tasting you, they've already sensed you by other means.)
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

Joined: Feb.10.2010

Posts: 7718

^ Top
 
Offline
Backer! (1)
Will you be able to knock holes in floors? Maybe covering them with carpets for traps? Perhaps knocking down the stairs and using a ladder to climb through the hole and then pull up the ladder?
No Signature

Joined: Apr.13.2012

Posts: 1

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
I have another question, will relative population density of the area be taken into account when determining the number of zombies to spawn in that area? For example, will there be less zombies in rural areas (as one would expect) or will the density of the zombies be consistent between all areas?
No Signature

Joined: Apr.06.2012

Posts: 20

^ Top
 
User avatar
Offline
Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Whimpy13 wrote:
Will you be able to knock holes in floors? Maybe covering them with carpets for traps? Perhaps knocking down the stairs and using a ladder to climb through the hole and then pull up the ladder?

Probably not holes in floors, but breaking stairs and pulling ladders are definitely something we're going to be adding.
Morslok wrote:
I have another question, will relative population density of the area be taken into account when determining the number of zombies to spawn in that area? For example, will there be less zombies in rural areas (as one would expect) or will the density of the zombies be consistent between all areas?

Generally, we will use the reasonable density of an area. As a general rule, a city would have a lot more zombies per square meter than a rural area might. But this will also be randomized some, and you may occasionally come across an eerily vacant city district, but a very occupied farm field.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

Joined: Feb.10.2010

Posts: 7718

^ Top
 


Back to Top of Page