LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Backer! (1)
TheArhive wrote:
Survival game is not try not to shoot.

You can play that game just fine even when you are runnin'n'gunnin
In TDL you will be dead in a matter of seconds.

You haven't played TDL and i'm sure you haven't played this so how can you be so certain?

I've played this mod for over 50 hours and 9 times out of 10 run and gunnin will get you killed.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mugen892

^ Top

Backer! (1)
TheArhive wrote:
You can play that game just fine even when you are runnin'n'gunnin

Somebody has not played much of this game lol
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
All of the stories in this thread are making it really hard to wait for ARMA 2 to go on sale on steam. Oh well, back to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan

^ Top

Zag wrote:
Satire wrote:
Zag wrote:
That guy has really bad aim.

I was wondering that... I think it might have something to do with server lag, note: 6:30 - 7:30min)

No, he's aiming too low. (Chest, not head)

Unless they can be killed by chest shots? Lame zombies.

You are the most useless person I know.

If you have ever played ArmA II, and are not a CoD -sweep!-, it is usual for army personnel to shoot at the CENTER of mass... It is indeed not a run and gun game but a survival server. You need to use your imagination, I doubt your game will come close to the server in terms of your "run and gun" definition.
No Signature

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Backer! (1)
Bushmaster wrote:
Zag wrote:
Satire wrote:
Zag wrote:
That guy has really bad aim.

I was wondering that... I think it might have something to do with server lag, note: 6:30 - 7:30min)

No, he's aiming too low. (Chest, not head)

Unless they can be killed by chest shots? Lame zombies.

You are the most useless person I know.

If you have ever played ArmA II, and are not a CoD -sweep!-, it is usual for army personnel to shoot at the CENTER of mass... It is indeed not a run and gun game but a survival server. You need to use your imagination, I doubt your game will come close to the server in terms of your "run and gun" definition.

OH SNAP
Other great Indie games:
Overgrowth
Project Zomboid
Dwarf Fortress
Cortex Command

Support Indie developers!

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Burgerlolz wrote:
Yep, DayZ is definitely one of the best survival game I played, it is exactly what I expect Dead Linger to be. I am removing my pledge aswell because now i'm really afraid it just won't be as good as DayZ.... (It has t he big map, the engine, and the mechanics to give a very realistic experience) just because of Zag saying dayz is a run n game with Zombies, it's totally not the case. I think the guy at Sandswept should admit it's good and say "Hey let's do better" rather than "No this is just a run n gun zombie game don't go play it"...

Should I just list off the logical shortcomings in this post?

- I never said don't go play it. I have no opinion on whether or not you should play it, I am merely pointing out the stark differences.

- The game is very run and gun. The game consists mainly of running across large open areas, and shooting zombies as they get close. There is very little to the survival aspect, sans collecting some gear off of the ground. There is no barricading or long-term survival in the mod.

- The AI is rather shoddy, and the animations leave much to be desired, but mainly these issues make the combat rather glitchy. When combat is glitchy, survival becomes harder, but not in a more skillful manner.

- A mod team will not keep pace with a full time, fully paid team. People who withdraw pledges or whatever it may be to donate to the mod team are more than welcome to, but the amount of money the mod team members need to go full time is a lot more than they're receiving from that, and ...

- They are building the mod on the ARMA II engine, which is built for large-scale warfare, low-population combat simulation, not mass zombie survival. The zombie population in the mod can't be very high due to the engine not being built from the ground up to support it. That will never change, because it's impossible to change with mod tools.

Post above; my remarks about accuracy and headshots were specifically about the zombies being able to be killed by chest shots. It has nothing to do with military/police tactics (such as aiming center mass.)

The game is not The Dead Linger. The difference will become clear eventually, even for the foggiest of the bunch.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
It can't really be compared to TDL, it's not better or worse than TDL, it's just different, Dayz it's not even a real game, as the creator Rocket said in this post
Quote:
This isn't really a game. Maybe a real game, from a studio, will come from the concept. For me, this is art. My intention was to generate real human emotions: high on the list was frustration, being pissed off, and a general distaste for some elements of society and what happens when the -sweep!- really goes down.

If you're fed up, frustrated, maybe even angry then I've done my job. I don't want money, fame, power from it. I've achieved precisely the effect I wanted even if you never play the game again, and hopefully made people think about a few things along the way.

Dayz has big limits because ArmA 2 is not made for most of the things the mod is trying to do, like the melee attacks, the persistent character and world system, and generally the AI is not so advanced and that's probably why the zombies are not slow, because otherwise they will take ages to get you as even now if you change direction while running away from them, they stop for a couple of seconds to re-calculate the path
No Signature

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Quote:
This isn't really a game. Maybe a real game, from a studio, will come from the concept. For me, this is art. My intention was to generate real human emotions: high on the list was frustration, being pissed off, and a general distaste for some elements of society and what happens when the -sweep!- really goes down.

If you're fed up, frustrated, maybe even angry then I've done my job. I don't want money, fame, power from it. I've achieved precisely the effect I wanted even if you never play the game again, and hopefully made people think about a few things along the way.

It's beautiful to see how the DayZ fanboys don't even represent the opinion of the guy who created the mod project. I want to meet that guy, he sounds great.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I think this topic has gone way out of what the OP intended.

This isnt a comparison of the two games, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to compare these games. Why? Because dayZ is a playable mod, and TDL is a Concept for a game. Case closed, theres no point in arguing, since you can say something that you dont like about DayZ but all you can compare it to is something that may or may not exist when TDL comes out.

That being said, I am excited for what TDL has been projected to be, and I currently enjoy what dayZ is. Like the OP said, a fun zombie game to play in the meantime before we can get into the survival of TDL.

Despite the glitchy zombies DayZ is very fun for the people that have given it a chance. Its even more fun when you play with friends. I have met up with a few people from these forums in game and we have had a lot of fun.

If anyone wants to play I would say give it a chance.
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Malek wrote:
I think this topic has gone way out of what the OP intended.

This isnt a comparison of the two games, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to compare these games. Why? Because dayZ is a playable mod, and TDL is a Concept for a game. Case closed, theres no point in arguing, since you can say something that you dont like about DayZ but all you can compare it to is something that may or may not exist when TDL comes out.

That being said, I am excited for what TDL has been projected to be, and I currently enjoy what dayZ is. Like the OP said, a fun zombie game to play in the meantime before we can get into the survival of TDL.

Despite the glitchy zombies DayZ is very fun for the people that have given it a chance. Its even more fun when you play with friends. I have met up with a few people from these forums in game and we have had a lot of fun.

If anyone wants to play I would say give it a chance.
Agreed 100% and i got to meet Malek in game thanks to these forums (as he mentioned)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mugen892

^ Top

Quality Post (1)
Zag wrote:
It's beautiful to see how the DayZ fanboys don't even represent the opinion of the guy who created the mod project. I want to meet that guy, he sounds great.

Its funny because someone in the DayZ forums was saying the sound creator for the mod was total shat and he should be fired. To which Rocket(the mod creator) replied with something along the lines of "I am the sound creator, deal with it." and that if the person had better sounds, he was free to upload some. I also love what the webmaster said on the new update!
Quote:
[NEW] Players no longer consume food/water offline BUT can still become starving offline (just eat when you login) P.S. you guys are pussies

AND

I bought Arma 2 just to play the mod a few days ago, I figured I might as well buy TDL when it actually comes to the Alpha (or whichever stage it decides to open to the public to) stage because it already got so much funding, and use Arma 2 as a filler in the meantime.

As a very off the map side-note: STALKER 2 was cancelled for now, and even worse, there are rumors Bethesda might buy the rights D:. But ateast old GSC game world employees are working on this now! :D https://www.facebook.com/Survarium
MAGIC CLAW(press me)

^ Top

Nice game, can't get it though :(
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
i really recommend this mod for those waiting for TDL.
And its far, FAR from a run and gun game. Shure its much of a run game. But ive had days where i have barly fired anything at all. Me and a friend scavanged a area wih about 6 zombies today by simply sneeking.
Shure, you cant barricade and stuff (you can place tents and barbed wire and czech hedgehogs though). But its still a survival. And over 1000 zeds can be scattered across the map without any problems. I guess the major downside would be that its a military simulator at base, so it can be really hard for new people to get used to it.
i would be thankfull if someone could pm me when avatars are back online

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1)
Running zombies = me hating it
xD

I wanna hug Romero Z's dammit!

By adding running Z's they want to add action, survival game doesn't need that, action is achieved by various different situations.

^ Top

Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
I saw the article for the mod on pc gamer and watched that series of videos. Decided to re download Arma just to play, even though I've only played like 2 hours of Arma ever.

It looks like something that could be fun until TDL comes out. Don't like how the zombies glitch out but that can't be helped.
PCGamer Article

Oh and Zag, pcg said this:
Quote:
Read, and be shaken by your shoulders: the open-world zombie game you’ve probably always wanted exists. It’s called Day Z.

Why don't you share with them our secret :P
No Signature

^ Top

Artiste (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
Its no point, because Day Z is a released game with actual game play and players.
Only when a competent release is out something like PC Gamer will even take look.

Just be patient and let it develop, who knows PC Gamer may take a shine then, no point in irritating them now, they may not take a second look later down the line. First impressions matter when your hitting up a big gaming review platform.

If every Indie studio Hit up PC Gamer that they are the best next thing, they would be swamped. The only way they are going to look at a small studio is if they got big name talent, beforehand.
-----------
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

^ Top

Backer! (1)
So I decided to finally buy arma for this mod and I have to say, it was worth every penny. On my first life I have come into contact with nothing but friendly players so far, seen a few bandit bodies but everyone that has approached me had good intentions. I joined up with two other random guys, hopped into Skype, and played for 8 hours straight! Its like my minecraft addiction all over again. The only time one of us died was when my buddy glitched off a ladder and fell like 40 meters, I still haven't died though. If someone wants to get a group together for this game add me Steam ID: Yautja
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan

^ Top

Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
I'm quite enjoying it actually, spent a few hours creeping around the one town lol. I wish you could go into all the buildings, it's confusing when you don't know which ones are enter-able.

Note that I haven't seen one zombie in my few hours, just players and bandits. Elec is a killing zone :P
Steam ID: Eoino
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I played rebuild 2 and for me it was really addicting I failed my first play through but my second I beat it and then loaded my save and beat it the other ways. But I probably won't play it again.
zag wrote:
AUDIENCE?! What are you doing posting on the Sandswept forums?

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
Zag wrote:
Should I just list off the logical shortcomings in this post?

Thanks you for going ahead and doing it, otherwise I would have to gone HAM. I hate when people compare games because 1 or 2 features are similar.
Why Not?

^ Top

Back to Top of Page