LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
Dislcaimer wrote:
Im starting a new series of stories that involve the creation of the virus, DOVRAC, and the downfall of the world. The story is actually told through audio logs, so its all talking and sounds. By telling it like this, im focusing on developing a large story line, not on each individual chapter/log (I put care into them too). Another thing I'd like to point out is that its not through the eyes/ears of one person, but through many people who will seem to have no connection. Patience is the key, and although they may seem slightly boring, in the end I plan for a George RR Martin type twist... or two. I hope you enjoy.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Chapter Directory

Chapter 1: Governmental Mentality
Chapter 2: 12 Weeks
Chapter 3: Rants of a Madman
Chapter 4: All Expenses Paid
Chapter 5: Greatest game
Chapter 6: The Costs of Security
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 1: Governmental Mentality

President: "DOVRAC hasn't had any breakthroughs in the last seven years. Every time a new strain comes out, some private company comes out with a vaccine first."

Sarah: "Yes, Mr. President, but that's because of legal requirements that are put on us, that doesn't apply to private companies. Act 3, Section 9, maybe?"

President: "Sarah, I have a country to run, and I can't remember every single rule and regulation for every department of the United States. So if you would be so kind, would you explain what it means?"

Sarah: "It's now irrelevant. What is relevant is that we can make due with the current income, but we need the restraints removed. With every outbreak, we are on a running clock from second one, and we have weights holding us back."

President: "Alright, fine. I'll do what I can to help out the department. If I can't change the regulations, I'll lessen the security on enforcing them. It will probably be the latter though. If there's no progress though, the department is being shut down, and any slip-ups and you've got a life sentence."

Sarah: "Understood, sir."

President: "Remember, Sarah, ever since the threat of a VL89 attack becoming something we don't need to fret about, DOVRAC's main function has been to create revenue for the government. If you guys don't get the first vaccines out, it's an-"

Sarah: "Unacceptable loss, yeah I know. If you do what was asked, we won't have that problem anymore. I guarantee it. Now if you excuse me, sir, I have an important meeting with the sections' heads in half an hour. "

President: "You can go."

[walking]

[door opens]

[walking]

Connor: "How'd it go?"

Sarah: "He's agreed to help us, lessoning security most likely. Were in the green for the project. I want Double-sided Dagger initiated."

Connor: "I'll get Eric to start working on it."

Sarah: "No, I want you to start working on it, along with as many people as can be trusted. We have 7 months to create two of the deadliest virus man will ever know, and a vaccine for them."

Connor: "Keep your voice down, do you want to blow this before it even starts?"

Sarah: "This hall's not bugged, and no one's around. We're good, and even if there was somebody or a listening device, you're more likely to make the sun rise in the west than stop the operation.

Next Chapter [►]
Why Not?

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Suspenseful.

Now very very tempted to write something myself.
"Great Men Are Forged In Fire. It Is The Privilege Of Lesser Men To Light The Flame" - John Hurt, War Doctor

Check out the TDL Wiki!

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
Nexvinco wrote:
Suspenseful.

Now very very tempted to write something myself.

Do it. I love a good story.
Why Not?

^ Top

Liked it for the most part, but I'm confused about this...

“Alright fine, ill do what I can to help out the department. If I cant change the regulations, I’ll lessen the security on enforcing them. It will probably be the latter though. If there’s no progress though, and the department is being shut down, and any slipups and you got a life sentence.” (quote wasn't working)

^ Top

I added an extra and in the sentence.

I need to get better at spell checking.
Why Not?

^ Top

Chapter 2: Human Trials

Eric: "It's a nasty little bastard, ain't it?"

Sam: "With animal trials so far, no creature, be they rat or monkey, have survived more than 3 months."

Eric: "So how exactly does the virus work?"

Sam: "It kills people." [chuckle]

Eric: "No -sweep!-. Since you have to be a smart ass, I'm going to explain fully. I want to know HOW the virus kills, how long it takes, how it spreads, that sort of stuff"

Sam: "Alright, well the virus kills by targeting the nervous system, specifically the brain, however we try to keep you alive for as long as possible. It then acts to take control of the body by blocking out signals, leading to death. If you come into contact with an infected individual, you pretty much have it. However you show no symptoms until about 4 weeks later."

Eric: "How long till death?"

Sam: [sigh] "Currently at 4 to 5 weeks, you would develop symptoms of a common cold. Faintly at first, then it gets progressively worse for 3 weeks. After that you become deathly ill with fever and at that point you have [mmmph] say 3 to 5 weeks to say your goodbyes."

Eric: "So is there any way one could be immune or survive after contact?"

Sam: "Out of the hundreds of monkeys we've tested, none have resisted it. However, it is possible, but stats suggest it could be 2 in every 1 million people. How long you live is all based on genetics. That's why for standard person there's a range of 10 - 14 weeks till death, and a small possibility of longer."

Eric: "The virus so far from what you said is ideal. 4 weeks for people to smother it around, 4 weeks of worry from National Organizations, then 4 weeks later wide spread panic. I think it's time for human trials."

[◄] [Directory] [►]
Why Not?

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Read this and then forgot to post!

It makes me speculate about what is going to happen next, so its doing its job well.

I like the way it is going, it adds some good background before we get to the whole massive death outbreak bit.
"Great Men Are Forged In Fire. It Is The Privilege Of Lesser Men To Light The Flame" - John Hurt, War Doctor

Check out the TDL Wiki!

^ Top

Nexvinco wrote:
Read this and then forgot to post!

It makes me speculate about what is going to happen next, so its doing its job well.

I like the way it is going, it adds some good background before we get to the whole massive death outbreak bit.

Thanks.

Everyone knows the whole massive death thing, but how or why is the question im trying to make you wonder. And I have good answers to that ;)
Why Not?

^ Top

Chapter 3: Rants of a Madman

Ryan: "Those scum, those pitiful scum. I was days away from a major breakthrough on the new pox the Arabs have been brewing, and what do I get? A "stop your pointless research". Pointless, if those specs ops hadn't gotten the sample, Israel would be having a bloody flu, with casualty numbers in the high end of the triple digests."

Ryan: "But the company needs its top anti-body scientist working on the Valhalla solution. In order to keep the department going, they need the "project" to go through. And we're down to 7 months. They need me."

Ryan: "No, no, no! My work was just as important as what I'm doing. But ever since the new director took over from making some bribes during elections, things have been bad for me. Now they're dismissing my most important work as pointless!"

Ryan: "But they need me. Without me they don't have a cure, and there's no revenue from this project."

Ryan: "Screw that, they're using me. I'm just a small asset that knows a useful thing or two. Well I'm not going to share it. I'm not working on the project, and what can they do. If they go to officials, they'll be revealed, if not, they can't do anything to me, I'm too valuable."

Ryan: "They don't need officials when they are the officials. If you do anything out of line, you're off the map and no one will care."

Ryan: "Then I'll mess them up. Yeah, that's what I'll do. I'll make a mock, ineffective cure, maybe even have it do some harm. Then I'll ransom off the real thing. I'll be rich and famous. Maybe if I play it right I'll be a hero. A hero of the modern age."

Ryan: "No. No, it's not right. You're gambling with thousands of lives..."

Ryan: "The ones who die have weak genetics, they don't deserve to live. Natural selection, survival of the fittest, their life means nothing. I will have my way, even if billions must die!"

[◄] [Directory] [►]
Why Not?

^ Top

Chapter 4: All expenses paid

Harris: "I need a team of 12, of my choice, radios, some technical equipment, an FBI or CIA safe house, which I know there's one, and the devices needed for contamination. Most of those are easy, only hard one would be the devices and possibly the safe house."

Connor: "The safe house won't be a problem. The other departments don't like us, but they have no say in the matter. But with the hand dryer, why would you choose such a device for contamination? I mean there's a few dozen bathrooms, and multiple hand driers in each. The percentage of people who will actually come in contact with one is relativity low."

Harris: "You only need a few hand driers for it to work. But to make sure, we're replacing every single hand dryer with one of ours. The reason it's so effective is that your hands touch everything. Think about it: food, clothing, gear, other people, and especially your face."

Connor: "Still, why this method over others, say like through spraying the stadium?"

Harris: "You can't hold the virus in a liquid form to spray. Plus we're at the mercy of the wind that way, and I plan to have the worst possible situation happen. Yet the final reason is we can get the jobs easy enough to install the dryers."

Connor: "You seem confident in your ideas, so I'll send the blueprints off to engineering and get the dryers made. Onto the next matter, your crew will need to be cleared by us. Make your choices, but we get the final say."

Harris: "Would you just let me run my op? I'm not choosing anyone who I'm not confident in, because if something goes down, its my ass as much as yours that's going to be in a -blam!- storm. I have all my choices in mind, but if you want my help, I suggest not messing with them."

Connor: "I assume you still brought a list of your candidates, because you don't seem to be the dumb type that would just think he would get his choice without review."

[paper sliding]

Connor: "I don't think we'll be having a problem with your crew. Only name I don't like is Jeremy Tolsor."

Harrison: "Don't blame you for not liking him. He's greedy, and that makes him dumb. However, he knows his technical stuff, and is the only possible candidate for the job. Other guy, Rick, got killed on a job over in Sweden. But with Jeremy, his "incident" does make him risky, but don't think I made plans for once the job is done."

Connor: "You're right about the Moscow incident. He betrayed his former boss for us, but he could go back just as easily and that won't look good. Keep what he knows to a minimal, keep him watched, and then eliminate him post job, and you can have him."

Harrison: "You think I inform my people of the client? I rarely tell everyone the whole mission. You see, I haven't lasted this long in my business by not thinking things through. I'm insulted that you would consider the fact I may tell him what the job is for."

Connor: "Just doing what I'm paid to do. I work with idiots, I'm accustomed to dealing with idiots, so I treat everyone like an idiot. Fair enough?"

Harrison: "What will be fair is you paying me in advance. Although I know you're "doing what your paid to do" so I'll say the usual payment: half up front, half once the job is completed. How much was it again? 2 million total, not including expenses?"

Connor: "A lot more than what we should be paying you. You're just lucky we can't go to anyone else. Enough of that matter, though. I have blueprints and a safe house to arrange, while you have your own job and planning to get to, and after that an all expense paid trip to St. Petersburg."

[◄] [Directory] [►]
Why Not?

^ Top

Backer! (1)
H4Z4RD wrote:

And grammar, as well. Not trying to be a jerk about it, but the persistent mechanical mistakes just give the whole thing an unpolished feel.
I'm gonna need more rope.

^ Top

conductorbosh wrote:
H4Z4RD wrote:

And grammar, as well. Not trying to be a jerk about it, but the persistent mechanical mistakes just give the whole thing an unpolished feel.

Ill try to focus on it more. Any specific chapter you noticed had a lot of problems?
Why Not?

^ Top

Chapter 5: Greatest Game

Grant: "Nice breeze coming through the stadium, don't you think?"

Jeremy: "It would be better if I didn't know that we installed random air-conditioners for no apparent reason. That realization is screwing with my mind."

Grant: "Comes with the territory. Now lets enjoy this nice box seating we got. Who do you think is gonna win the Pentathlon this year?"

Jeremy: "I'm going to with the British guy, Johnathon... Johnathon..."

Grant: "Grater. Johnathon Grater. I'll give you this: He a great athlete and has a chance, but I'm sticking with Uncle Sam this year. I'm willing to bet on it. What do you say: 100 bucks if your choice of winner takes gold."

Jeremy: "Throw in some wine to that deal and I'm interested."

Grant: "After this job, I think I can afford that."

Jeremy: "After this job, I still wonder why we're getting payed so much just to instal some air conditioners. Sabotaging the athletes maybe? What if..."

Grant: "You know the deal: don't ask questions, get the job done, then forget. Else wise your prone to get a bullet in the back of the head, and there goes your 401k benefits."

Jeremy: "I think my 401k benefits are the least of my worries."

Grant: "Well then I guess you won't feel the need to retire."

Jeremy: "What do you..."

[struggling]

Jeremy: "Traitorous son of a -blam!-"

Grant: "I'm the traitor?[panting] Says the one who sold KGB secrets to the CIA."

Jeremy: "So what do you fuc... AAAWWWHH... care you mercenary?"

Grant: "It proves you can't be trusted, so that's why I'm suppose to tie up the loose end that is you."

Jeremy: "Loose ends get tied up only if you actually manage to kill the person...[chocking] ..and it seems to me that that's not happening at the moment. Now that's over, I'm assuming I'm not going to get my pay... [picks up paper]."

[phone snaps open, dial number]

Jeremy: "Kyle, its Jeremy. Ready for your next big story."

Kyle: "You know how much I love my Olympics, and you know thats where I'm at."

Jeremy: "Perfect, I am too. But if this file is at all true, you may have the story of the century. Meet me down at our usual pub in a few hours, unless you want to blow your chance at fame.

[◄] [Directory] [►]
Why Not?

^ Top

Chapter 6: The Costs of Security

Sarah: "You realize how much -sweep!- we're in. We have BBC, MSNBC, and Fox with cover stories, and I'm sure the others major press agencies aren't far behind."

Harris: "You might want to add ABC to that list. They released the story 2 minutes ago."

Connor: "Well our point is proven. We let you run the op, you screwed up, and now our side of the operation is at stake. What the hell happened to dealing with Jeremy? I thought you lasted so long in this business by thinking things through."

Harris: "I sent my best man Grant to kill him. The guy was a behemoth, and yet hes now dead. How Jeremy managed to choke him is something I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out."

Connor: "Well instead of figuring out something you can only theorize in, you need to figure out where he went. Track him down, trap him, and use all your resources to kill him. Then dispose of the body. With him dead, the Journalist Kyle has no proof to back up the project files."

Sarah: "Until he's dead, your not getting payed the second half of our deal. And if you don't get it done within the next 5 days, your not getting payed at all. Is that understood?"

Connor: "It'll be done in under 3, and he'll be gone without a trace."

Sarah: "I'll hear from you in 3 days then. Until then, stay out of contact and when you do contact us make sure you use encrypted phone line. I'm not sure what the next 3 days will hold. Now we're done here."

Connor: "Well that went surprisingly well. I figured he would start -sweep!- about not getting his pay until killing Jeremy."

Sarah: "He thinks hes borderline -sweep!-, and we're his only chance out of the frying pan. I say we played that really well. Having him take out Jeremy without paying extra is pretty nice."

Connor: "Indeed. Moving on, how has the questioning been?"

Sarah: "I've never told so many lies in 12 hours, and I've spent my life in politics. I keep denying everything obviously, but no one seems to buy it %100. President has been pressing the hardest."

Connor: "It's your and the agencies word versus a small blogger. Plus even if they did investigate the dryers at the facilities, they wouldn't be able to tell that they were modified. There's no proof against you."

Sarah: "I'm not worried about the project being discovered. What concerns me are the steps we're going to have to take to stay undiscovered. I'm sure we'll have government agents searching through our facilities soon. We now have 12 weeks and counting."

Connor: "And are ready today. We have the vaccine produced, we just have to set up a facility to create it in bulk. Everything is fine, some inconveniences yes, but we're fine."

[◄] [Directory] [►]
Why Not?

^ Top

Back to Top of Page