LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
After finding out that a polycount can include quads, not just traingles, I've done a bit of detriangulating and found the real polycount for all my models.
  • Machete - 479 Polygons
  • Hatchet - 408 Polygons
  • Spade - 496 Polygons

Are the polycounts still appropriate or could they do with a little increasing?

Machete 1 - Machete 2 - Machete 3 - Textured Machete 1 - Textured Machete 2 - Textured Machete 3

Hatchet 1 - Hatchet 2 - Hatchet 3 - Textured Hatchet 1 - Textured Hatchet 2 - Textured Hatchet 3

Spade 1 - Spade 2 - Spade 3 - Textured Spade 1 - Textured Spade 2 - Textured Spade 3

Spade Texture - Hatchet Texture - Machete Texture

Here's the reference image I'm using to create the models

Any feedback is always greatly appreciated, but don't be too harsh.
- T. F. Pearson -
Go to my blog to see the 3D and 2D work I've done for my course at college.
Pearson Productions

^ Top

Backer! (1)
That looks pretty damn good to me!

Join The Survivor's Legion clan here!
Send me a PM if you have comments, questions or if your clan is interested in becoming allies!

^ Top

Community Moderator (1) Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Backer! (1)
Yeah, I like it. You did a very accurate rendition of the picture, good eye mate!
I am not a Sandswept developer.

Zag wrote:
If you post anything that arouses me, I will permanently ban you.

Rules are Kewl: http://www.sandswept.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Nothing wrong with that! To bad you're not texturing it, I would love to see it finished!

^ Top

Here's another part of the bushcraft kit, the hatchet.
The model is 788 polygons overall.
Like always, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hatchet 1 - Hatchet 2 - Hatchet 3
- T. F. Pearson -
Pearson Productions

^ Top

How can i see how many poly-thingys it is?? :)
Aka; FingerLiquid

^ Top

MrGreen wrote:
How can i see how many poly-thingys it is?? :)

If you're using 3DS Max, you can right click the viewport title, select configure, go to the 'Statistics' tab and select 'Show Statistics in Active View'. It will then display how many polygons there are in the entire scene. I only know 3DS Max, so if your not using it I can't help.
- T. F. Pearson -
Pearson Productions

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
These are great, and the polycount is perfect.

You should definitely have a go at texturing them. (I'd recommend http://www.cgtextures.com if you need assistance with the base textures.)
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Here's the third part of my bushcraft kit, the spade.
It was quite hard to keep the polycount under control for this one, with nearly 2000 polygons at one point, so after doing a bit of work I managed to get it down to 1092 polygons. It is slightly over the 1000 poly limit, but I'm sure it's not a problem.

Spade 1 - Spade 2 - Spade 3
- T. F. Pearson -
Pearson Productions

^ Top

ok, thank you :)
But i don't use that pogram :P
Aka; FingerLiquid

^ Top

After a few rather persuading posts, I've decided to have a go at texturing the models I've created. I'm not bad but my texturing skills don't really compare to my modelling skills.
Here's my first 'attempt' at texturing the spade.

Textured Spade 1 - Textured Spade 2 - Textured Spade 3

I'd also like to say thanks to Zag for recommending CGTextures, very good site. I can't count how many times I've found the perfect texture, just to find it's got a great big watermark slapped across it, this site should save me a load of time and pain.
- T. F. Pearson -
Pearson Productions

^ Top

Zraya wrote:
Here's the third part of my bushcraft kit, the spade.
It was quite hard to keep the polycount under control for this one, with nearly 2000 polygons at one point, so after doing a bit of work I managed to get it down to 1092 polygons. It is slightly over the 1000 poly limit, but I'm sure it's not a problem.

Spade 1 - Spade 2 - Spade 3

Seems unnecessary that it's 1092 polys. It's simpler than your other models, really, and looking at the textured version, it looks pretty flat and low-curve as it is. You could probably work with those polys a bit better, they're being wasted somewhere. (If you post a wireframe I could tell you where.)
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Zag wrote:
Seems unnecessary that it's 1092 polys. It's simpler than your other models, really, and looking at the textured version, it looks pretty flat and low-curve as it is. You could probably work with those polys a bit better, they're being wasted somewhere. (If you post a wireframe I could tell you where.)

It did seem strange at the time It would be fairly easy to drop it down below 1000 polys, I think I was starting to see 1000 as a target rather than a limit. If you're still bothered here's the wireframe for the model.

Spade Wireframe

The difference between this model and the hatchet is that I started with a 16 sided cylinder for the handle rather than a 12 sided which I used on the hatchet, that's probably the main cause of the increase in polys.
- T. F. Pearson -
Pearson Productions

^ Top

Having another look at the wire frame I found an area of the model that was really high poly for no reason at all, Here's an image with the area highlighted.

Spade Wireframe Highlighted

And here's another render of the wireframe with the corrections made, bringing the poly count down to 960.

Spade Wireframe Corrected

I could reduce it more if you want, but I have knocked quite a few polys off it. (12.09% to be exact.)
- T. F. Pearson -
Pearson Productions

^ Top

Here's another one of my models I've textured, the hatchet this time.

Textured Hatchet 1 - Textured Hatchet 2 - Textured Hatchet 3
- T. F. Pearson -
Pearson Productions

^ Top

Hatchet looks awesome!
Zraya wrote:
Having another look at the wire frame I found an area of the model that was really high poly for no reason at all, Here's an image with the area highlighted.

Spade Wireframe Highlighted

And here's another render of the wireframe with the corrections made, bringing the poly count down to 960.

Spade Wireframe Corrected

I could reduce it more if you want, but I have knocked quite a few polys off it. (12.09% to be exact.)

I'd say your handle has way more detail than you need for a 'round' effect. You could probably effectively halve the polygons on the handle (at the half-circle at the end of it) and it would still look great. You're adding a bunch of unnecessary polys there.

Also; notice all these X patterns everywhere. You could easily reduce each quad down to 2 triangles instead of 4, in pretty much every instance. In the very middle of the shovel-head, you are already doing that. See how much less dense it is?

That's where you're losing all the polys.
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Zag wrote:
Also; notice all these X patterns everywhere. You could easily reduce each quad down to 2 triangles instead of 4, in pretty much every instance. In the very middle of the shovel-head, you are already doing that. See how much less dense it is?

Sorry about that, it's just the wireframe making it look like that. It's the polygons on the opposite side that are the opposite way round, so the edges cross to make it look as if there are four polygons on each side.
Here's an image of the wireframe with the backfacing polygons hidden.

Spade Wireframe
- T. F. Pearson -
Pearson Productions

^ Top

Zraya wrote:
Zag wrote:

Sorry about that, it's just the wireframe making it look like that. It's the polygons on the opposite side that are the opposite way round, so the edges cross to make it look as if there are four polygons on each side.
Here's an image of the wireframe with the backfacing polygons hidden.

Spade Wireframe

d'oh.

Looks pretty good otherwise. The handle could still use some reduction, I'd say.
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

I've actually got a bit of a conundrum. I'm confused as to what a true polycount is, I've been giving the polycount of the models I've made, however the numbers I've been giving are the number of faces.
The question I want to ask is:
"Does a polygon count mean only faces, 3 sided polygons, or can a polygon count be quads or higher-sided polygons?"
- T. F. Pearson -
Pearson Productions

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Community Moderator (1) Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Artiste (1) DETOUR Beta Tester (1)
Polycount, in our context, refers to quads (4-vertex faces). Generally, when you're modeling you will want to stick with using quads exclusively, and if you have to, use a triangle. Its inadvisable to use n-gons with more than 4 sides.

Game engines use triangulated meshes, so the final exports (.fbx, .mesh etc) will automatically find the best way to split everything into nice triangles, and so it's easiest if you start with all quads.

So, only concern yourself with sticking to the quads count for the moment, don't worry about triangles.
No Signature

^ Top

Back to Top of Page