LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1)
There isn't enough talk about survivor advancement :P

So this is an idea i got from DarkbreezeX

I think the survivor should be able to gain and lose phobias.

Example:
A survivor walks into a house and starts looting stuff.
Suddenly a Z-dog jumps outta nowhere and almost kills the survivor.
That survivor would get a Cynophobia- Fear of dogs or rabies.
To lose a certain phobia survivor would have to kill some Z-dogs without them hurting him.
(or them coming too close etc.)

Some phobias like Lygophobia- Fear of darkness.
Should be harder to get.
(survivor needs to be attacked by Z's in the dark A LOT for it to appear)

Effect on the survivor:

Phobias should have negative but also positive effects.

For example if the survivor has a Cynophobia (Fear of dogs) when the dog is in the field of vision the survivors hand should start to shake (lowering his accuracy) and a positive effect which would give him a speed boost (adrenaline).

Or if the survivor has Lygophobia (Fear of darkness)
After some time was spent in darkness the survivors moving speed would decrease and the survivors hand should start to shake but after stepping into the light the survivor should get a tempoarary speed boost (to get away from the darkness).

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
I think your over thinking it a bit. Cool idea, but excessive.

Plus you don't get a true phobia over 1 little experience then loose it just as fast.
Why Not?

^ Top

H4Z4RD wrote:

Plus you don't get a true phobia over 1 little experience then loose it just as fast.

And days don't last 2 hours :D

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
TheArhive wrote:
H4Z4RD wrote:

And days don't last 2 hours :D

Point taken, but still its excessive IMO.
Why Not?

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Backer! (1)
I have to agree with H4Z4RD on this one, I think it might be a bit too excessive and over complicated.
-TJ

@Tumuz

^ Top

H4Z4RD wrote:
Point taken, but still its excessive IMO.

I didn't mean it like this:
I see a dog, i fear the dog.
I meant it like when the dog gets you almost killed, your fer the almighty dog of Zuberhagen!

^ Top

I think this is a cool idea, but I think it should be an optional gameplay feature.
Sarcasm ho!

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I can't see it being done in any way that doesn't overcomplicate or confuse the player, sorry. :(

Join The Survivor's Legion clan here!
Send me a PM if you have comments, questions or if your clan is interested in becoming allies!

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Okay, well lots of negative responses to this idea. Let me play devil's advocate here.

Let's say we have some phobias tied to events and so on -- cool. How do they know they've acquired a phobia or currently have one? How do they know how to get rid of it?

In other words: How do you explain these things to the player?
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Zag wrote:
Okay, well lots of negative responses to this idea. Let me play devil's advocate here.

Let's say we have some phobias tied to events and so on -- cool. How do they know they've acquired a phobia or currently have one? How do they know how to get rid of it?

This is my worry, that it will just be a confusing system.
With the HUD being almost non-existent, the feature really wouldn't work unless the player had to enter their inventory to check for current ailments. This doesn't sound like something that would be a lot of fun or even worthwhile to implement unless another method is made :/

Send me a PM if you have comments, questions or if your clan is interested in becoming allies!

^ Top

Zag wrote:

How do you find out that you have phobia IRL
You notice the symptoms :)
Death resets all phobias.
Player can't have more than 2/3 phobias at a time.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
please dont make this become The Sims 2, cant do anything fun because of all the needs of those people i have to take care of.

^ Top

Femme's Cookie (1) Backer! (1)
I disagree with this idea completely. I can't stand playing games where the main character is afraid of every little thing, like Amnesia. Cowering and shaking don't make a game immersive, they make the player feel like the main character needs to grow a pair.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Pantera9411 wrote:
I disagree with this idea completely. I can't stand playing games where the main character is afraid of every little thing, like Amnesia. Cowering and shaking don't make a game immersive, they make the player feel like the main character needs to grow a pair.

Hahaha, I hated that about amnesia. A slight breeze and your character was quivering with fear for a minute and the whole time you just wanted to keep moving on with the game.

I don't think that being afraid of everything is a good way to provide a more deep experience for the player at all. It's a decent suggestion but is better suited to games that center on the aspect of being afraid, and even then it has to be done properly.

^ Top

Not every little thing lol.
Just things that almost got you killed.
Like literally 1% health.

^ Top

Well; I'm looking at this and I'm thinking this isn't what I had in mind for the system of it at all. I found it would be better to have the phobias be set in, not through personal experiences that happen to you in the game. You can be viciously attacked by Zombie dogs and survive, but that doesn't mean you'll obtain a phobia of Zombie dogs.

My original idea was more these are phobias that you gain through genetic, hereditary, or life-long traumas. Fears that you can't "Just get rid of" but stick with you. Some would think of this as a trade-off system, but I more see it as there would be both high positives, but low negatives.

One of my original examples was "Acrophobia - When [player] is High above ground or in High open space 40% decrease to speed. 5% decrease in accuracy.
(If you understand people with a fear of heights, you're lucky this doesn't say "You have to crouch the entire time")
When [player] is on flat ground, or is underground 10% accuracy bonus, 30% perception bonus (or something like that)."
This would be a very balanced situations, because you would have many equal opportunities to be in the good, and bad, sides of the spectrum.

It's cases that would have high-standing affects. So no, you wouldn't have to input "Barophobia- Fear of gravity" but more "Isolophobia- A fear of being alone, or isolated", "Claustrophobia- Fear of enclosed, or tight spaces." or if you want to get creative "Automatonophobia- Fear of anything that represents a false being." (This would be psychologically scarring for the fact that your character would have a difficult time determining zombies from store mannequins when looking through windows, but would be able to spot a being of human shape at farther distances)

It's all up for estimation and debate, but I don't want it to be overly complicated, as much as I want it to be a *Fun* piece of realism. I saw in the comments people worrying about knowing what your phobias are. Aside from using pure memory of your character; as some may lack the ability of. There is the simple fact that people don't constantly live in fear as some might think. Fear is a mental characteristic, which would lead it to being run by the senses and feelings. Sometimes I forget I have a fear of spiders, until I see one and can't get near the bloody things.

It's a hard concept to grasp, but it would be like you would be reminded of your fear as soon as you saw it, or experienced it. My logic is pretty obviously debatable so if anyone would enjoy to throw in an opinion on it, please do so.
figuring things out and discovering the universe requires questioning, So ask questions freely.

^ Top

Yeah your idea would work.
But i still think you guys didn't understand me.

When a dog almost kills you, there is a small chance (5-10%) to get a phobia.
And it would take a long time to get rid of it.

(I do think that your idea is better though)

^ Top

I rather do enjoy this idea, I personally believe it would add more of a sense of being to your character. I personally think if they were added, they would be random at character creation and perhaps even unknown to yourself until you first meet your fear.

On the flip side, there would have to be a simple visual characteristic to your character being frightened, perhaps an outline around whatever you have a fear of, if your fear is a singular object that is. As to, I myself have an uncontrollable fear of spiders, whenever I see one, I find myself wanting to move away from it; as quickly as possible. I can't remove it from my line of sight without having a borderline panic attack.

In-game, say you have a fear of dogs, for whatever reason. When you first encounter the dog, perhaps a sudden jump in your screen, and a momentary (perhaps red) outline of your fear, resulting in an almost complete obviousness that your character has a fear of dogs. I understand for more global fears, (claustrophobia in example) the red outline would have to be re-worked, perhaps as an overlay to your screen, and a slight shaking.

I was also thinking to further this, and make it useful/fun whichever; Players would have to receive a bonus from their fear say in the dog case, you would run faster for a time after seeing it as well as run longer. But the closer you get to said dog, the less damage you would deal (in melee) and the less accurate you would become?

Perhaps I enjoy challenging aspects in my games a little to much, hehe.

However I could see this being a time consuming, annoying aspect to the game, and would understand if this idea was discarded.

And sorry for the wall of text, hehe.
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Perhaps each character could just have a randomized phobia from the beginning. Maybe it shows up via combat with something or upon seeing something... Or if there is sleeping down the line you have a text nightmare about it.
I paid Fifty dollars to be hunted down, attacked, and stressed out by zombies. Does anyone else see a problem here?

^ Top

You could implement that as an extra for custom-made maps/scenario etc. as buff/defbuff system, but as a built-in mechansim?

Nah... not to mention that you already have sth. similar installed in the perk-system.
Or if they include hunger debuffs, radiation/infection sickness, sleep deprivation, fatigue etcetctec.

^ Top

Back to Top of Page