LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Two different keys for Local and Global voice chat?
Keep it as one 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Two different buttons 90%  90%  [ 35 ]
Total votes : 39
Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Backer! (1)
I think the players would have to find two way radios in order to talk to each other over distances. In a free for all style of multiplayer, where I assume the players would spawn in different areas, two way radios could be found and set to the "Scan" function to pick up other players broadcasting messages. Batteries could also be utilized in order to keep your radio on and transmitting/receiving. If there's going to be different devices, maybe different batteries? Or is that too far? lol.

With Two Way Radios, two different buttons would have to be set for local (maybe a proximity?) voice communication in game and global voice communication.

Where the player is could also affect the signal of the radio (if they are underground or in an elevator shaft etc).

Now, I understand that rather than using this, most players would just use an outside voice chat program, such as ventrilo or teamspeak. But, players who are wanting a more realistic and challenging experience could use Two Way Radios to communicate and find other survivors.

Edit: Just read Nostramo's suggestions, and I guess two-ways and Cell phones would fall under the same category and perhaps Cell Phones would be better, being more common and more useful for other tasks.
Nostramo wrote:
4. Cell phone
Not sure if this is taking it to far, but could be used for a multitude of things from telling time to keeping inventory to allowing you to construct a simple local map to allowing you to contact other survivors. Only downside is that they are bright and use up power.
khan

^ Top

I like it. Scan is good, and batteries (either rechargeable or replaceable) are good. Different kinds of batteries are probably unnecessary though.

Local and Global will work fine, but considering the opt-in cooperation nature of the game, it might be useful to be able to set your radio to a specific channel, so opposing groups can't listen in too easily. Some radios could even have channel encryption with a passcode. If we did this, though, we'd need a good way to know someone's talking globally when you're in your own channel. Maybe a different radio sound from the normal one signalling start of broadcast. We also need base stations for monitoring and extended broadcasts, such as for messages on repeat.

I think the radio should always be able to be heard if you're in range, but if you're underground or similar it should be more garbled. That way you know someone can hear you, even if they can't understand you.

A nice system like this would be a great alternative to using a third party program, and I don't think we should take those factors into account too much when thinking about a system like this.
No Signature

^ Top

Ahh.... Just thought of something really cool and instantly forgot it when I opened up the reply..
khan

^ Top

Khan wrote:
Ahh.... Just thought of something really cool and instantly forgot it when I opened up the reply..

Like a boss. I hate it when that happens.
No Signature

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1)
OWD wrote:
Local and Global will work fine, but considering the opt-in cooperation nature of the game, it might be useful to be able to set your radio to a specific channel, so opposing groups can't listen in too easily. Some radios could even have channel encryption with a passcode. If we did this, though, we'd need a good way to know someone's talking globally when you're in your own channel. Maybe a different radio sound from the normal one signalling start of broadcast. We also need base stations for monitoring and extended broadcasts, such as for messages on repeat.

This could make for some very interesting PvP dynamics, especially if there was an option to repeat a message (it would have to be limited in range, though, so as to not clutter everything up).
And They Shall Know No Fear

^ Top

Nostramo wrote:
This could make for some very interesting PvP dynamics, especially if there was an option to repeat a message (it would have to be limited in range, though, so as to not clutter everything up).

"Attention, survivors. Testicles. That is all." (Repeats indefinitely)
No Signature

^ Top

Quote:
"Attention, survivors. Testicles. That is all." (Repeats indefinitely)

I have a feeling this is going to be a good purchase.
And They Shall Know No Fear

^ Top

Nostramo wrote:
OWD wrote:

I think rather than having a repeat option, there could just be a dialogue box, like in Diablo 2. I would also be completely for VoIP or "chat parties" like on xbox.
http://i.imgur.com/k0yY7aN.jpg

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Cool idea. This is actually how it originally was planned, but for the time being, chat is essentially Global, Local, and Team chat.

Global is heard by all, Local is heard by all in proximity (50 yards or so), and Team is only heard by team members, assuming PvP is in effect.

The radio idea is cool, though possibly a bit more annoying that it's worth. People kind of just like to chat whenever. Restricting chat in any way becomes bothersome.
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

@ZAG Well, for the sake of pleasing everyone, you could make it an option :)
http://i.imgur.com/k0yY7aN.jpg

^ Top

Why not make radios work on a 'frequency' and that could be your team chat? It'd enable other's to attempt to tune in and find your frequency, (assuming their's PVP where this'd matter.) then have other frequencies be designated 'emergency' (global) or short burst transmission (local)

It'd make things a bit more interesting. I mean your character isn't salvaging for jeans, because they're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse in their underwear, so it shouldn't be too insane to assume they have a radio.

I guess the idea is to take away from an interface, and make it an ingame item. (Like what Fable 3 did, but less tedious/pointless/annoying.[Edit: I mean taking away things from an interface, and make it an ingame item you interact with. Fable 3's level to it made it tedious imo.]) What'd also be amusing, is if your chat had some sort of an impact on the AI (zombies) they could hear you or something. Or hear your radio go off. Also the ability to dramatically shut it off. :P
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Kinda what I was thinking - if zombies react to radios, leave one as a decy and set it to repeat to draw them in. Use it for traps or distractions.
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I agree with Zag, I don't think anything should get in the way of players communicating with each other. So no batteries or any of that, but using a radio as a way of making chat more immersive would be interesting. As long as it's kept relatively simple, of course :P

Join The Survivor's Legion clan here!
Send me a PM if you have comments, questions or if your clan is interested in becoming allies!

^ Top

Radio frequency=clan chat?

^ Top

Back to Top of Page