In your house (hear it on the news) 54%  54%  [ 60 ]
Zombiez chasing you (already outside) 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
How the infection began (like the cheezburger in Zombieland) 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
Playing L4D on PC 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
Other 22%  22%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 111
Spotlighted! (1) Backer! (1)
Berriii wrote:
I really think the tutorial should be structured, as you're going to need that structure to fully understand the game without the bizarro happening. (Or maybe structured for exactly that purpose - Sucked up by a tornado at the end of tut anyone? :D)

The other thing is that (In my own preferance) the character at the end of the Tut should definately die, as this teaches you how to play with everything, so starting with said everything isn't really fair.

This also expands greatly on potential, as you could then have the tut have any number of scenarios from escaping a crowded subway platform which zombies overrun, to having some clue to the backstory.

The tutorial is a little something called trial and error.
Exploration Team of the World, a whople lotta fun.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

^ Top

Backer! (1)
ScottKrieger2015 wrote:
Berriii wrote:
I really think the tutorial should be structured, as you're going to need that structure to fully understand the game without the bizarro happening. (Or maybe structured for exactly that purpose - Sucked up by a tornado at the end of tut anyone? :D)

The other thing is that (In my own preferance) the character at the end of the Tut should definately die, as this teaches you how to play with everything, so starting with said everything isn't really fair.

This also expands greatly on potential, as you could then have the tut have any number of scenarios from escaping a crowded subway platform which zombies overrun, to having some clue to the backstory.

The tutorial is a little something called trial and error.

Yes, I agree.

As to the beginning, it would've been very interesting to be there to witness the fall of society, but I think it's too much of an undertaking for the developers, and so focus should be on making the best of what's realistically possible.

I know Zag said that we're not to decide what's too hard for them to do, but I'm afraid adding realistic AI crowds of non-infected will require too many resources.
Listen to space:
http://topaz.streamguys.tv/~spaceweather/

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I definitely don't want some crappy tutorial, I thought most people on here wanted hardcore realism :S At least if it's added make it an option I'd rather figure things out for myself.

As for an intro I think the Dead Island introduction would work really well with a game like this, you awaken in a hotel room, flat, bedroom whatever and suddenly the world has gone to Sh*t overnight.

It would also be great in multiplayer if you could have the option where everyone starts in different areas, I would really love that, having to find my way to other survivors.

The already planned idea sounds great to me, what Zag said on page 2.
Electro Dance Music Mixes, My New Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SirIllin?feature=mhee

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Find it quite hilarious that people still seem to be voting for "In your house (hear it on the news)". You know, being that the time set for TDL seems to be well pass the initial outbreak and the power grid is most likely out or on its last legs and civilization is pretty much teetered from the brink of existence. One simply wouldn't be home oblivious to all this and watching television, if you were - you'd most likely already be dead.

It'll be even more of an ironic option when I scavenge in-game through houses that possibly have body parts in the living room, of people who probably were doing the same exact thing before their relatives or neighbors had them for breakfast.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Comrade Kaizer wrote:
Find it quite hilarious that people still seem to be voting for "In your house (hear it on the news)". You know, being that the time set for TDL seems to be well pass the initial outbreak and the power grid is most likely out or on its last legs and civilization is pretty much teetered from the brink of existence. One simply wouldn't be home oblivious to all this and watching television, if you were - you'd most likely already be dead.

Aw man is that confirmed/set in stone?
Dunno which time I'd prefer it to be set in.

^ Top

Artiste (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
Comrade is right
This is nothing more then a suggestion, this isn't the developer asking.
Its just a random person from point X in the world saying,
These are the choices. Pick one.
If developers like popular vote, they may take it.

Thats about it.
Who knows it may end up starting with your pants down as your being spanked like a monkey. Because you accidently fell in the gorilla cage in your local zoo
-----------
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

^ Top

Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
It would be awesome to have some sort of intro but as Zag said, if it were scripted it would get repetitive eventually :S I don't think I've played any zombie games that begin a significant amount of time before the infection. But I can remember just how amazingly scary and engaging it was when you burst out of the shack in Dead Island to see that guy wrestling with about 5 zombies. Imagine opening the doors to your house and seeing the public fleeing as zombies were ripping down people in large numbers.

As awesome as it'd be, I don't think it would suit the style of the game. It would be like Minecraft or GMod having an intro :S I personally think it should be left at a sort of wake up from the floor or fade in from black/white.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Sacredless wrote:
Some of the topic has come up in the following thread; The Beginning of the Apocalypse and NPCs. I'll quote the stages that I have sketched there ...

the movie Contageon is good for this ........
They Live ...........

^ Top

Backer! (1)
The problem with this is that a storyline cant really be incorporated into a sandbox game. Think about it like its Minecraft, where there is no actual storyline and you have to get lots of gear and stuff. The whole goal of The Dead Linger is to survive and thrive.
No Signature

^ Top

ScottKrieger2015 wrote:
Ummm......I think you start in a house as of now, that might change. But who needs a story? This game isn't about the story, it's about surviving the apocalypse.

Well, the surviving is part of the story. You make your own story as you go along.
-----------
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I like the idea of being a separate character and playing a tutorial, which ends in your death.

In between that I think it would be neat to POSSIBLY be there at ground zero of the infection. But I don't have the whole picture, plus being procedurally generated I dont know how that would work. But I still like that idea. Say, if its the usual virus you could be a lab scientist [not necessarily working on the virus! maybe it mutated accidentally?]

Or maybe you could be working at a hospital or a patient at one and patient zero is there, and it starts like that. And you defend yourself but die, then later on can visit whatever it was that happened.

Anyway I don't want to go on and on I think my idea is out there now so yeah.
No Signature

^ Top

I like the suggestion of hearing it on the news first: a distant city has been hit with a strange virus making people rabid and hallucinate, but of yet theres is no mention that were dealing with zombies. instead the game reserves your first zombie encounter sometime later in a dramatic and impactful way for maximum suspense. this would imply the story beings in the early stages of an outbreak rather than in the middle of an epidemic. so in this scenario there would still be many survivors, and the government has not yet issued a quarantined in the city you reside in. but playing it safe you begin stockpiling supplies anyway. then as the intro to the game suggest, the virus spread rapidly to your town one night, while you slept. you open the front door one morning to take a look outside only to be see the streets in complete disarray, with cars through houses and mangled in the street, yet mysteriously theres nobody to be seen. that way we get to see a glimpse of your town before the outbreak.
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I just don't like the idea of a tutorial in this type of game, a wiki page should be the tutorial. It's like with Minecraft, I found the game amazing when I had no idea what I was doing and had to figure everything out myself, had I already known what to do I would've been bored with the game after a couple of days.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I think that a tutorial is actually extremely important in a game like this. I'm not especially great at most video games, and hearing about "hardcore games for hardcore people" can get pretty tiring.

So I think you should get the option of playing a small tutorial level. You wouldn't be forced to play it, and it would be very easy for the Sandswept team to create a tutorial. Just a small house with a zombie in one room, barricading materials in another and some weapons in a third. Add some text to explain the basics, and you're good to go.

Easy to learn, difficult to master.
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Krospgnasker wrote:
I think that a tutorial is actually extremely important in a game like this. I'm not especially great at most video games, and hearing about "hardcore games for hardcore people" can get pretty tiring.

So I think you should get the option of playing a small tutorial level. You wouldn't be forced to play it, and it would be very easy for the Sandswept team to create a tutorial. Just a small house with a zombie in one room, barricading materials in another and some weapons in a third. Add some text to explain the basics, and you're good to go.

Easy to learn, difficult to master.

As long as it's optional I don't care.

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I liked the tutorials in ARMA 2, where they were completely optional, but still fit in to the story, since it was just another part of the same situation.
There could be a tutorial in TDL where you play as a survivor in your base, and your leader teaches you a few survival techniques. The entire thing could be divided up by different skills, so you can do a tutorial on shooting, barricading, scavenging, etc.
After you finish each section, you could either do another one or start a full game.
A semicolon in every post or your money back!

^ Top

Back to Top of Page