LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1)
TheArhive wrote:
Sandsweeper wrote:
I'd assume physics would be made.

The game wouldn't be very fun otherwise.
*Looks through stationary camera at stationary world*

i am not saying they won't be made.
I just don't think they completed it yet.
Of course not, it's the Alpha silly. :P
I'm just saying it'd be cool to see their progress and maybe their plans for the future.
I'm ... not very coherent.

^ Top

Honestly i was just debating how I would design a zombie game just yesterday... then found this in development game today. To bad i didn't save my idea on paper. But ill give my most interesting ones.

1. Being able to rescue or save survivors. Finding them via lights on inside houses after hours, following smoke signals, following radio chatter, seeing painted signs along houses saying survivors inside (tho that may not always be the case for any of these, kind of like a zombie trap).

2. ringing rescued survivors to a safe location to where they might build a fort so to speak, steadily providing you with goods as they themselves find them. Each fortified building giving you a specific type of reward, food from a groceries store, ammo and/or weapons from a guns store, medical supplies from a pharmacy, ect.

3. A pet dog, something that can detect undead or sniff out useful item much like "Dogmeat" in "Fallout 3"... perhaps have it be immune to infection? Of course the survivors would make much better companions, much like in "Left 4 Dead" (Without the pill poppin).

4. Oh and a character creator would be nice, even if its just how he/she looks and maybe a neat back story. Each defining his inventory at the start perhaps, policemen getting a pistol, civilian getting a tire iron and some food, recently "paroled" convict getting a a shiv and the cloths on his back, ect.

That's about it for my idea's hoped these helped. ^_^
No Signature

^ Top

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
Cidius wrote:
-snip-

Hey Cidius, and welcome!

These are more general suggestions (which you'll want to post in the Suggestions forum for sure!) This topic we're posting in here is specifically for suggesting topics to cover in our "Design of the Dead" blog post series.

Thanks! Enjoy the forums! :)
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Zombie A.I and World Generation and custom -sweep!- :D
No Signature

^ Top

Architecture styles. (modern, Victorian, industrial, etc.)

^ Top

- Character customization / creating the character models
No Signature

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1)
- The incorporation of mimz in the game
I'm ... not very coherent.

^ Top

World generation
No Signature

^ Top

mind if i jump in?
Immersing the player into the game. Give me my feels of being chased so i will truly run for my life. (Immersion can be done by placing the right music, at the right moment.)

Topic: Game Philosophy. (More then just open world. But your plans to conquers zombie-game genre fan's heart.) (I am a huge OST fan!)

Quote:
Zombie A.I and World Generation and custom

I'll be interessted in that! but i'll assume...
if(Zombie.target.player || Player.onprop("Table"))
{Zombie.(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻};

(Sorry, it was just a good use...)
So many zombie-games have such a basic AI for the zombies that can be tricked with ease by standing on an object...
Kindly, The Internet.

^ Top

true true.... i hope this game will have good ai! :)
No Signature

^ Top

Honestly I'd like to know if you guys have any if not already planned character classes like a hunter that excels in hunting with a background in the army or in general a electrician certain things like this is what I would like to know.

What if any kind of character classes will there be?
No Signature

^ Top

This is my first post so if I'm doing anything wrong just let me know.

So since this game will touch on a sense of "realism" I thought it would add a sense of depth to have real injuries such as breaking bones or bleeding out.

For example you fall from a high place like a fire escape or a ledge you land on the ground and hurt your ankle. So you are left limping and need to find a way to fix yourself using pain killers and bandages or fighting against another human you injure you arm you can't defend your self so well with blunt or sharp weapons and to top it off you have an open wound making the zombies more attracted to you.

You get beaten while fighting another player for supplies and food. The enemy player leaves you alive but heavily injured so you need to patch a deep cut that is heavily bleeding and leaving a trail of blood which the zombies could pick up on and begin to follow or if another wondering player finds it first he could begin to follow it to where you are at and if he is kind enough patch you up or if not so kind finish you off and take what you have left and picked up along the way.

A mercy kill system would be a pretty cool addition to. Say you are dying or infected and you can't go on to fight another day a part of your group or a passing stranger could give you a mercy kill using his weapons or over dosing you on drugs.

If the developers read this please tell me what you think.
-----------
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

^ Top

Community Moderator (1) Quality Post (1) Backer! (1)
d_cover wrote:

This thread is for suggestions for the topic of dev blogs, ideas similar to what you're suggesting is already being discussed in a few other threads. Look around, they won't be hard to find and you'll get better discussion there.
The Rules | Jackal Mod Manager | Brotherhood of the Dead Clan
Not a Sandswept developer, just a volunteer moderator.

^ Top

PEGelite wrote:
d_cover wrote:

This thread is for suggestions for the topic of dev blogs, ideas similar to what you're suggesting is already being discussed in a few other threads. Look around, they won't be hard to find and you'll get better discussion there.

Oh, sorry and thanks for being understanding. :)
-----------
Join the Brotherhood of the Dead A Dead Linger Clan, and visit our website Here

^ Top

Destructible environment.

It's a pretty big issue because few engines allow that at all or to any useful degree.
A world where a flimsy white picket fence stops a tank in it's tracks is not very immersive. =)
All your brains are belong to us.

^ Top

Possibility of custom, pre-generated, map support. I think it'd also be really cool if fans can create specific maps to play in.

Other than that, I'd also most curious on how the planet-size map will be dynamically generated.
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I like the way the menu looks- sleek and stylish. One thing i would like is for the cells in the background (i guess that's what they are!) to move about a bit, or something along those lines.
Chairmode activated BOOP

^ Top

Backer! (1)
I'll try to stay in the "suggestion" mood of things, but since I have myself dabbled some in game design, even if simply as a half assed advisor (my brother has been working on and off on a project of his and having his setbacks, too), I might end up just saying what I would do. But I guess that's what suggestions are all about, so here goes :

About the PvP system

There should be at least 3 server options:

Relaxed PvP: a flag system, so that a characters can choose or not to be flagged for PvP. There's a X minutes delay to turn off that flag, configurable.

Hardcore PvP: It's always on, babay !!

No PvP: Oh no, you don't !!

Then again, in Alpha it might start off as being able to support only a small amount of people with no search engine for servers, so friends only mostly. PvP should always be on, will allow us to test the combat system and its bugs right off the alpha ?

About the combat system, if you don't mind ?

Talking about PvP leads to talking about the combat system. Supplying a combat system for a zombie apocalypse survival game is quite ambitious, to me. You got to take care of melee with a wide variety of weapons, so you also got to take care of many melee "fighting styles" and animations and stats, etc. It's always nice when a combat system feels realistic. Plus PvP requires balance through it all. If guns are to be rare, maybe one should be able to turn the tide of a battle quickly. Or maybe there's always the need to be ready for melee since guns have a tendency to jam ?

But that makes me wonder about other kinds of ranged weapons ... more primitive ones such as bows, crossbows, slingshots, spears, rocks, bollas (really ?). Implementing those would add a whole new dimension to the game and really work towards setting it apart from all other games. Something akin to a first person medieval combat games ? That makes me think of shields ... I'd use one.

Sorry if I ended up with questions here, I got carried away :D

About cooperative survival and character design et al

From a design point of view, this again seems very complicated. Especially since it also depends on if you chose to focus more on a single player VS multi player point of view. It's no secret than a game being either single or multi player, or balanced to allow both equally, can greatly affect gameplay choices ...

So this leads us to the core of the matter.

Cooperative survival gameplay is closely tied in to choices in character design, too. In that kind of coop, a character's uses in the game is greatly determined by his innate or learned abilities. Cooperative play will be all about players bringing something needed or something special to the table.

We will need crafters of all kinds and gatherers of all kinds. We will need people who are knowledgeable and smart, maybe trainers. We will need people who are better at fighting than others. Others that are better at NOT getting into fights, getting out of a tight spot quickly or getting into one undiscovered.

More precisely, skills such as hunting, fishing, cooking, wood working/gathering, leatherworking, tailoring, metal working, mechanics, sciences (could be sub categorized) and all the more "combat" and/or "special" skills.

Survival skills are a big part of such coop gameplay. Subcategorizing survival skills into many more specific ones can be a good way of balancing single vs multi player. By forcing players to dump points in more skills by giving more skills, and by giving skill points more slowly on multiplayer servers you balance both the need for cooperative survival depending on server size and make it possible to have an always alone kind of game. On PvP servers, this could be managed differently, giving a bit more rewards for lower skills since the focus would be more on combat ? Or not ?

The downside of giving as many skills that are implementable as possible is it force implementing so many things (yeah, thats sounds logical too!). But that's what the most ambitious zombie survival game ever has to achieve, in my opinion.

Character customization/creation

Ability to make a child character ? Knowing it couldnt age and would logically have lower physical stats, maybe it could have a few special perks, like being able to fit in smaller spaces, better dodge hits, etc.

World generation / how the TDL world is made

I always have had many ideas for games, but never really looked into the more technical side of things. So what I'm gonna get out of my hat might not even be possible, but stay with me ;-)

We are to be able to exploit and mold and affect the world around us if we are to have the True Sandbox Zombie Survival Experience(I dub thee TSZSE) where we can do what we really would do if real life became the zombie survival game (sppoky).

So that makes me think we need in game tools/actions that allow us to simulate, with animations, sounds and fun camera angles and rotations (heheh, just goofing around) the feel of having affected the game world while giving us the possibility to affect it more deeply than ever. It could go as far as having actions that can let us break down flimsy walls for a hasty retreat. Or even better, make a flimsy wall (or only parts of it) into a tough one and vice-versa.

A more concrete example of what I'm trying to say is a character skilled as a mechanic would be able to take a toolbox and spare car parts to a broken truck, see himself using the toolbox on the vehicule and have a truck that can now be driven if it has fuel.

Maybe it could be as complex as being able to dig tunnels/trenches around a compound, being able to fill it with water and zombie crocodiles and laugh like a mad scientist all along ?

PS: I now realize that since I saw your project on Kickstarter it had me thinking. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to get it all out Zag ! I'm tired.

PPPS: Longest post ever :S
No Signature

^ Top

Backer! (1)
Design topics that we could talk about:

Advanced Defenses - what kind of traps and defenses we can set up

Human AI - what we would like to see as far as finding other survivors, especially in single player mode.

Dangers besides zombies - self explanatory

Setting up a bastion - more than just fortifying a building. Building a place or an area for a whole group to live and thrive in and what should be included for doing so.
No Signature

^ Top

If any of these has already been mentioned i apolgize to the respective person:

A)ability to trade ammo and or weapons with peers "gears of war" style, you make a request and if he accepts then the animation goes on (or without animation but the trade is done). This can be used for weapons, ammo and even other supplies like food or medicines.

B) if players have certain profiencies like medicine, it would be nice for a doctor player to be able to heal you with the proper supply kit and thus making a better use of them than the ones you could make out of them by your own (with no medical knowledge). Same thing with food cooking, etc.

C) though it should require balance, a spot system, same like gears of war, where someone can spot a particular target or place and the other players can see some kind of sign to identify where the spot was made.

D) navigation system based only in street names, highways and maps( i heard zag mention stars but since i dont have a clue how to use them i only mention the ones im good at), after all thats how the reall thing works and im sure not many people would be interested in maps after the outbreak, so i bet there should be plenty available.
No Signature

^ Top

Back to Top of Page