LOGIN or Create a Sandswept Legion Account

Sandswept Staff (1) Founder of Sandswept (1) Forum Super User (1)
The Dead Linger FAQ

[Last updated: 3/6/2014]

------------------------------------------------

This FAQ was originally written by a forum member, so we can not ensure that everything is 100% accurate, but we will be updating it over time and refining the information found herein.

We will try to keep it as up to date and accurate as possible. If you are looking for progress and more information about the game, we highly recommend checking out our Development Roadmap.

General FAQ

Can I ask a question?
You just did! And yes, you can always ask questions, but make sure you read this FAQ first! Something might have been answered.

What is The Dead Linger?
The Dead Linger is a first person, sandbox role-playing survival horror that takes place in massive, procedurally generated worlds.

Wow, sounds huge! How many people can play in a single world?
First and foremost, know that The Dead Linger is not considered an MMO. However, you can play up to a maximum of at least 16 players, and many more if your server can handle it. We're currently working to get that player limit as high as we can, and you can set the number as high as you want.

Is it going to be on PC? Mac? Linux?
The Dead Linger is currently exclusive to digital download on the PC, but we are interested in bringing the game to Mac and Linux later on. People who buy the PC version will also get the Mac and Linux versions available to them if we end up releasing them. Though we offer no support for Mac and Linux at this time, some users have written guides (Mac, Linux) on how to emulate Windows on both in order to play The Dead Linger.

What about Steam?
We are releasing on Steam Early Access on September 27th, 2013! Thanks for your votes on Greenlight!

And what about consoles?
We have no plans to bring The Dead Linger to console platforms right now, but if the PC versions are highly successful, the chance of that will drastically increase. If you are looking to play The Dead Linger with a gamepad, check out programs like XPadder, we hear those work pretty well! We do not offer any official controller support at this time.

Will the game have guns in it? Most zombie games nowadays either have military assault rifles laying everywhere, or 1 gun per every 1 million zombies!
The Dead Linger will have guns, and lots of them. TDL is based off of the United States culture and environment, and as we all know, there are quite a few civilian firearms to be found. If you choose to go the noisy, dangerous route of firearms, you can. Military firearms are much more rare, though.

How do you kill zombies? Will they bleed to death if I hit them enough?
Zombies can only be killed by a headshot, or by otherwise destroying the head. Zombies can not be killed from being shot in the limbs or torso, but dismemberment (planned) will slow them down quite a bit.

Will there be vehicles?
We have plans for vehicles, both land, sea, and air. They are a very large and complex feature, and we want to make sure they're working at a fairly smooth level before we release it to the public.

What if I don't want to play multiplayer? Can I play alone?
Yes. You can play completely alone if that's what you prefer.

I don't want to play with random people, can I play with just my friends?
Yes, you can host your own servers and play with your friends all you'd like.

I don't have any friends. What if I want to just shoot people and make their lives miserable in The Dead Linger?
You're a psychopath, but you're in luck! We have some Player vs. Player (PvP) modes planned, and there will be clearly marked PvP servers for all of your team and free for all needs. You may want to keep watching out for zombies though – they're not going anywhere in the PvP game modes. The zombies are the main threat in The Dead Linger, and always will be.

How do I regroup with my friends or teammates?
When you join a server, we will allow you to resume at the place you left off last time you were in that server, or we'll allow you to spawn in near to your teammates. This means if your friends run off without you while you had to drive your little sister to clarinet practice, you can still join back in and find yourself within a reasonable walking distance from your buddies.

Speaking of spawning, how do I spawn into the world?
There is a central region where all new players will spawn into a given world. After that, they will return to the same place they disconnect from.

What if I'm killed? Do I respawn?
Depending on difficulty, yes and no. In most game difficulties you will respawn nearby. The harder the difficulty, the more items you will lose and the further away you will respawn from the scene of your death (planned.) There is also a planned Hardcore Perma-Death mode that will allow you to play the game with one life. If you die, you are dead, and you do not respawn. You will have to start over fresh with no way to re-obtain your lost items and progress (multiplayer), or start a new character and world entirely. (singleplayer).

How does difficulty work? What are the difficulty levels?
The Dead Linger is a difficult game. No matter what difficulty you are set to, there will be blood, eventually. Game difficulty is tied on a player-by-player basis. This means a player who is more skilled can play with his less-skilled friend, and they can both enjoy the game together.

There will be 5 varying levels of difficulty, spawning you further away from the location of your death, damaging the items in your inventory to different degrees, and dictating what you drop when you die. For example, the easiest difficulty will simply respawn you with slight durability damage and all your gear on your person. The second hardest difficulty will severely damage your gear and you will drop all of it. The 5th difficulty is a Hardcore Perma-Death mode that will allow you to play the game with one life. If you die, you are dead, and you do not respawn.

Damage and other stats do not change on difficulties, so this does not affect how hard it is to survive, but only the penalties for death.

Is the respawn zone a safe zone? What if I get spawn-camped by another player? What if a zombie is standing right next to me when I spawn in?
We are doing quite a few checks to ensure you never spawn too close to another player, or within line of sight or in the immediate area of a zombie. Outside of that immediate area, you are on your own and must keep your wits about you. If you disconnect from a server with zombies chasing you, you, they will be there when you come back in, however.

I want to play Last Man Standing on my TDL server! Can I automatically ban players when they die in Hardcore mode while playing on my server?
Yes, we have plans for such a ban option, and we'd like to give that ban option a time limit as well, so you can let them back in after a certain amount of time has elapsed, or perhaps some other rules to help server admins manage their “Last Man Standing” game modes.

So what are the game modes I can play?
We currently have three main game modes planned for The Dead Linger;
1) Survival – This is the standard singleplayer and coop experience. You can still kill players, but it's a bit more difficult, and the focus is mainly on forming parties to survive the zombie apocalypse.
2) Team PvP – This is a more standard mode of PvP play. When joining a server, you will select between 2 to 8 teams, and you will join the team of your choosing. You will spawn into the world near your teammtes. The game is essentially the same as survival, zombies and all, but there is a more PvP oriented focus as you battle alongside your teammates, against the opposing players, to live, kill, and survive in the zombie apocalyspe.
3) FFA PvP – There are no rules. Survive. Kill or be killed. If you want to form unofficial alliances with the other players in this undead world, fine, but don't expect the other guy to hold up his end of the deal. If he backstabs you and takes all your gear, don't say we didn't warn you. Keep your head down. This game mode is not for the faint of heart.

The ENTIRE world is randomly generated?
Sort of. The entire world is procedurally generated, randomly. It follows a set of rules we've programmed into the engine, to build things, place objects, and tell things where they can and can't go. When we're done with it (and in some parts, even early on,) it will be indistinguishable from a world that was made by hand.

Wow! You must have some badass programmers with an IQ of like 400.
Yes. The art team isn't too shabby either. We won't say anything about management.

Speaking of engine, what engine are you using?
As of the Build 10 release on Steam Early Access, we are using the Unity 3D engine!

Does this game use seeds to generate its worlds?
Yes. You can share seeds (usually a string of numbers or letters) with your friends and generate the same worlds when you create a server. Seeds will be changing often during Alpha and Beta, though, as we constantly upgrade the world generation.

Can't I just keep getting good items because I'll know where all the good stuff is?
Not necessarily. Item generation is not tied to the world seed, to prevent people from generating the same seed and farming a really nice item they know the exact location of. Even on the same seed, you will rarely ever find the same thing in the exact same spot.

Do I have an inventory system?
Yes, and we go over it in adequate detail (for now) on this Design of the Dead blog post.

Cool, so you guys are copying Diablo 2's inventory?
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH RIGHT NOW.

... Uh. Oookay.
Actually, we've found the block inventory system to be a pretty sweet system as it is, but we've made quite a few tweaks and improvements to giving you all sorts of context-sensitive information within the menu. Still, the idea is the same – items are represented by block sizes and equipped in visual slots you move the item to. We understand a lot of RPGs have recently gone towards 'list” inventories, and it made us vomit all over the floor. After we cleaned up all the puke, we started work on the current system, and it's going to rock.

So, you mention it's an RPG. What kind of RPG elements will we find? Item stats? Dexterity?
We're keeping most of the number crunching out of the game, and focusing more on play-style preference. It's an RPG in the sense that – yes, you can role-play – the player is developing, learning, growing, and learning new skills, but the majority of skills in the game come down to each player. Not just that, there are no classes in the game. If you want to be a big melee brawler, you can choose perks that allow you to thrive in close quarters and do more melee damage.

What are perks?
In order to help player's get their preferred playstyle sorted out better, players will unlock perks by accomplishing feats. Once a perk is unlocked, they can equip it to their player and it will modify what their player is good at. Some examples of this are the “Marksman” perk, that gives you steadier aim on firearms, or the “Brawler” perk, that gives you increased melee damage. You can currently have 3 perks active at any given time, and we have about 50 unique perks planned at this time.

What are the required and/or minimum PC requirements?!
You can view the current minimum requirements here: http://www.thedeadlinger.com/archives/1023

Let's talk about zombies some more. Are zombies afraid of fire?
No. Zombies aren't afraid of anything, nor are they brave. They're just zombies. They don't think on that level. Fire will kill them, but it takes awhile. You'll want to be well out of range, lest you find yourself being grabbed by a flaming zombie.

What kinds of zombies are there? Are there special infected?
There aren't and there will never be special infected or other kinds of mutated zombies. There will be zombie animals, but the only ones we can confirm right now is Zombie Dogs. Zombies themselves (the human kind) will come in three main types; slow (starving), medium (normal), and fast (healthy.) Healthy zombies will jog at a mild pace (slower than you can sprint) and they will be far more rare than the other two types. They are best dealt with quickly.

Do zombies react to noise? Sight? Smell? Touch?
Yes to all. Be careful.

Are zombies pushovers?
No. The majority of zombie games as of late have added more and more non-zombies to the “zombie” ranks, and changed zombies in such a way that they are the cannon-fodder for much bigger foes. That is not the case in The Dead Linger. Zombies are the prime enemy and we've gone to great lengths to ensure that is the case. Be very afraid, and be very careful out there.

How many zombies might I find in a crowd?
Currently we are working with numbers of zombies up to around 500 in the local proximity to a player, and that's just in Pre-Alpha. You could theoretically find crowds of zombies numbering in the hundreds, possibly thousands when we are finished.

That's a lot. I'm scared.
Good. And that wasn't a question.

Sorry. So can I buy and play this yet!? It sounds awesome!
You can buy the game right now on Steam Early Access. If you pre-order or otherwise buy the game, you can play it right now, and you will be able to play it all the way through alpha, beta, and release, without ever having to pay again.

Is there a monthly fee to play the game?
No. You only have to purchase the game once, ever.

Can I monetize on YouTube videos of The Dead Linger and record "Let's Play" commentaries and the like? What about machinima videos?
Yes, yes, and yes! Have fun! If Youtube or other video services bother you, just wave this page around in their face.

That's awesome!
That wasn't a question either. Try again.

When is the next update/build going to be released?
When it's done. We don't give release dates on our build updates.

Can I go now?
Yes.

More questions will be added as we see fit. Scroll down for more categories of questions. Suggest or ask questions in this thread!
- Geoff
Lead Designer / Lead Writer for The Dead Linger
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Difficulty, Inventory, and "Premium" Items

Q: You've said that difficulty will be tied to characters and NOT the server. What if I want everyone to be required to play on Hard or Perma-death difficulty on my server?
A: Server hosts will have the option to allow any difficulties they want on their server. You can mix and match, or only allow a single difficulty. This means that in order for players to join your server, they must select, change, or create a character that is the correct difficulty

Q: Can I change a easy/medium/hard difficulty character to Perma-Death?
A: No. Perma-death characters are the exception to this. A perma-death character must be created as a perma-death character from the beginning and can never change that. However, all other difficulty types can be changed as you please.

Q: What if I join a perma-death server with a non-perma-death character?
A: Simply put, you can't. Servers will be able to select what difficulties they allow. They CAN mix and match anything they want, but a server that chooses to allow ONLY perma-death characters will not allow any non perma-death characters to join.

Q: Great! Will I have to manually ban players when they are killed?
A: When a perma-death character is killed, they are automatically unable to play with that character any longer. We are also looking into adding some server options for an automatic ban system when a perma-death player is killed, so they can not rejoin with a new perma-death character from the same account. More on that later.

Q: What is the current state of inventory persistence in The Dead Linger?
A: Currently, for Alpha, inventory persistence will be on a PER-SERVER basis. This means that you will NOT bring your inventory from one server to another, but you WILL bring your inventory to other WORLDS. If your favorite server changes to a new world, you will keep all of the gear and items you have found. We found this to be the most elegant solution to the impending problem of Alpha and Beta release requiring you to restart new worlds to experience new world generation as we update the game on a very regular and frequent basis.

Q: Awesome solution! So is my profile inventory data all saved on the client (my) side?
A: No. All inventory data and world position data is saved on the server side. Whoever is hosting the server saves all that data.

Q: Cool! But what if the server host deletes my profile save on his server and I lose all my progress on gear and items?
A: Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about that. We will never replace or be able to replace lost items or hardcore character progress. Please make sure you are playing on trusted and friendly servers for the smoothest experience when TDL goes live. If a person or clan hosting a server is being a jerk to people joining their server, go find a better server.

Q: What are premium items?
A: Premium items are special items, such as the Kickstarter backpack, that are tied to your entire account, and obtainable by all your characters.

Q: Are premium items better?
A: Compared to some items, yes. Compared to the entire catalog of obtainable items, no. The premium items are no better than items that can be found in the game. The only difference is that they are easier to obtain and allow players to get going and wear custom (and usually exclusive) gear in a brand new world or on a new character without so much scavenging.

Q: Do I have to use my premium items, like The Kickstarter backpack?
A: Nope. You can completely ignore their existence if you feel it's unfair for other players or just not fun for you. If you don't want a Large backpack from the get-go, or you like another backpack better, you don't need to ever bother with the premium items you may have.

Q: Can a server host turn off the ability for players to acquire their premium items?
A: This is planned. This would make sense for people who want to bring every player down to the same level at the start, for things such as a "Last Man Standing" or "Hunger Games" gametypes. Premium items will not imbalance gameplay, except initially in PvP, giving the player access to a few more basic items than other players may have at the fresh start of a new world. In non-competitive modes (such as Survival/Coop), the balance is not affected whatsoever.

Q: Do all my characters get a premium item?
A: Every character will be able to get a copy of your premium items that you own from the mailbox.

Q: What happens if I drop premium items on the ground like other items?
A: The premium item will be destroyed if it is dropped on the ground. You will be asked before hand if you are sure you want to delete the premium item.

Q: So is that premium item gone forever if I've destroyed or otherwise lost it?
A: No, you can always go back to the mailbox to get a new one. You can never have two of the same premium item in your possession, unless you have specifically bought or otherwise received two.

Q: Can I trade a premium item to another player?
A: No, they are bound to your characters and your characters only.

Q: Will there be other premium items besides The Kickstarter backpack and DOVRAC gas mask?
A: We are interested in bringing more premium items out later on, but right now The Kickstarter and a few other special items (items rewarded to special users by Sandswept, and so on) will be the only Premium items we have planned at this time. The Dead Linger will never be "Pay To Win." Full stop.
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Random Item/Weapon Questions

Will guns have bullet drop, other bullet physics and penetration of surfaces?
Eventually. During Alpha, most guns will be pretty straightforward -- literally.

How will reloading work?
Awesomely. We have a huge system we're working on for reloading weapons and keeping it realistic. Here's a great blog post on our planned firearms and ammunition system!

Will gas masks and other helmets/facemasks obscure your vision?
Yes, when you are wearing a gas mask, you will see the subtle frame of the gas mask around the edge of your screen and hear your breathing a bit louder. This applies to all sorts of headgear. We feel this really cranks up the immersion.

Can I nail boards to walls in any manner I please?
Yes. You can literally take a board and nail it to the walls, windows, or doors, in whatever way you please. The skill in this does determine the strength of your barricades. You can see an example of this in our 009 Dev Vlog.
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

- reserved -
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Quality Post (1) Femme's Cookie (1)
Khan wrote:
Well the amount of people that would probably come in and read this as if it was the official FAQ and then have a whinge that things that have been confirmed (what you've said yes for) aren't actually in the game. So, I'd add a note just to save people whinging haha
Ok, the OP has been updated with a few more questions.
I'm ... not very coherent.

^ Top

Community Moderator (1) Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
This FAQ alone is enough to make any zombie fan squeal with delight.

edit: the first question seems like it could be misinterpreted. Perhaps change it to something along the lines of "Are the developers open to new ideas and features?"
Theta Studios
Steam Profile

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Backer! (1)
Sandsweeper wrote:
Khan wrote:
Well the amount of people that would probably come in and read this as if it was the official FAQ and then have a whinge that things that have been confirmed (what you've said yes for) aren't actually in the game. So, I'd add a note just to save people whinging haha
Ok, the OP has been updated with a few more questions.

Excellent ;D
khan

^ Top

MrBlue wrote:
edit: the first question seems like it could be misinterpreted. Perhaps change it to something along the lines of "Are the developers open to new ideas and features?"

I was thinking that that was clear enough, but if you think that question has more readability I'll alter it, after all I'm not the one who's gonna be reading it.

^ Top

Community Moderator (1) Original Member (11/30/2011) (1) Showcased! (1) Backer! (1)
Sandsweeper wrote:
MrBlue wrote:

I was thinking that that was clear enough, but if you think that question has more readability I'll alter it, after all I'm not the one who's gonna be reading it.

Well I can just see a person reading that question and thinking that the design choices the devs have released are all subject to change. They are of course, but I think they have a very solid idea of what they (and we!) want.
Theta Studios
Steam Profile

^ Top

MrBlue wrote:
Well I can just see a person reading that question and thinking that the design choices the devs have released are all subject to change. They are of course, but I think they have a very solid idea of what they (and we!) want.
Done, you was right, the question is much clearer now.

What do you guys think of the latest alteration:
I wrote this nice little diary entry I think would make a great backstory for a dead character in the game, can I submit it?
Yes indeed, if you post your entries in "Survivor Creations" and they're just quite good enough they might make it into the game. :D

^ Top

The OP has been updated quite a bit more now, there's still a lot of answered/theorised questions to put on there but I'm inching my way over, please review my answers for areas that haven't been properly clarified (as in areas that could be misconstrewn) and/or areas that are inaccurate.

^ Top

Stickied for being awesome.
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Zag wrote:
Stickied for being awesome.
:D

Wait a second ...

*Sees opportunity*
*Adds:
"Is there such a thing as Universal Zombie Canon?
NOPE!"
to the op.*
*Giggles*

Anyway I swiped through all the TDL forums and these are all the "official" answers I found.
Some of you yellow/tan people should probably look over them and check to see if they're all accurate.

I'll add more as I find them.

Damn! How'd I forget to add the platforms!
Ok ... done that, *wipes sweat off of brow* well I think that was enough Q&A for one day, I think I covered most of the relevant/available information anyway.

^ Top

Original Member (11/30/2011) (1)
Good work on this Sandsweeper!

lol someone really needed to do this, I have noticed a TON of the same questions being asked over and over.
No Signature

^ Top

RyeMan wrote:
Good work on this Sandsweeper!

lol someone really needed to do this, I have noticed a TON of the same questions being asked over and over.
Yeah, I noticed "Will there be slow and/or fast zombies?" asked for the fourth time and I was thinking a nice little thread to answer that question and some others that have started recurring would be rather useful.

The good thing is I've read through every post so far in the TDL forums so most of the questions that could be asked and that have been "officially" answered I could just put up there.

(I say "officially" because the forums are currently quite a casual place and not every comment is a perfect pre-planned "company comment", plus a lot of the answers I put on there were rather paraphrased, although I still tried to keep it as accurate as possible there may be some inaccuracies.)

^ Top

Sandsweeper wrote:
(I say "officially" because the forums are currently quite a casual place and not every comment is a perfect pre-planned "company comment", plus a lot of the answers I put on there were rather paraphrased, although I still tried to keep it as accurate as possible there may be some inaccuracies.)

The nature of game development states that everything is subject to change at the discretion of keeping things fun and working within our resources and limits.

Until we say otherwise, assume our comments are entirely accurate as to our plans and such for the game. :)

I would recommend bolding the questions in your original post. Some good formatting would help a lot there.
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Friend of Sandswept (1)
Nice cookie, Sandsweeper ;]

Thanks for the thread!
Twitter - Community Rules
Simple Rules:
1) Play nice. No jerks.
2) Always stay on topic.
3) Illegal activity is completely forbidden.

^ Top

Zag wrote:
I would recommend bolding the questions in your original post. Some good formatting would help a lot there.
Will do, otherwise I'm not sure how else to format it, I tried to keep a logical-ish order with the questions but I haven't really done anything else.

^ Top

I need to clarify just a couple of those;

We can't confirm that there will be friendly non-zombie AI in the game. Just clarifying that.

Also; terrain features 'supported' doesn't mean all will be present. But we'd like to have a huge range of diverse places. The ones I can confirm are:
- Suburban (friendly neighborhood housing, school districts, parks)
- City (skyscrapers, larger buildings, industrial districts, city parks)
- Rural (Farmland, cornfields, wheatfields, barns, farmhouses)
- Forestry (national parks, pine forests, dense forests)
- Caves, sewers, old mineshafts are do-able, and we'd plan to do them.

:)
- Geoff
Follow me on Twitter!

^ Top

Better, or worse?

^ Top

Back to Top of Page